Author Topic: Henry taylor hs 67 bowl gouge  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Redtails5

• copper
Henry taylor hs 67 bowl gouge
« on: October 25, 2019, 03:26:47 PM »
Hi
Anybody know about a hs 67 bowl gouge?
What was the flute shape like?
I have heard for certain operation it stood head and shoulders above the rest.
What is its equivalent shape/form today?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Henry taylor hs 67 bowl gouge
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 04:35:05 PM »
I might be wrong but think that was the one that Roy Cilds designed in the '60's and became the basic pattern for modern bowl gouges which didn't really exist much befoire then.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:38:32 PM »
I might be wrong but think that was the one that Roy Cilds designed in the '60's and became the basic pattern for modern bowl gouges which didn't really exist much befoire then.

Pete
Pete
You are thinking of the HS1 which is the one Peter got a design award for I believe and is more V shaped.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
Hi
Anybody know about a hs 67 bowl gouge?
What was the flute shape like?
I have heard for certain operation it stood head and shoulders above the rest.
What is its equivalent shape/form today?
Without looking it up do you mean the HS 47 rather than 67? The one I'm thinking of is very U shaped which I find doesn't take a swepted back grind that well.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 06:55:11 PM »

Pete
Pete
You are thinking of the HS1 which is the one Peter got a design award for I believe and is more V shaped.

Ah, thought it was Roy not Peter. I stand corrected. I have been researching the history of some of the tools and must have got muxed ip somewhere. Thanks

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 07:49:41 PM »
i got sent a bowl gouge in the post once from peter child. strange as it was out of the blue and had a note which showed me that it was probably intended for someone else.

the note also stated that it was possibly the last of some revolutionary gouge made years ago (this was about 10 years ago in itself) but i've never done anything with it myself.

i wonder if that's what i was sent?

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
The differences between different makes of bowl gouge do mean that some will suit one type of grind more than another. Has anyone seen this topic written up anywhere ?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »
i have a copy of Peter Childs Th Craftsman Woodturner and page27 shows both the 'normal' and deep fluted gouges. my understanding is that Peter pioneered both this shape and using HSS for the tools. Most of my tools came from Peter Childs shop in Great Yeldam.
Ron

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 10:33:02 PM »
Mark's comment is correct.
The Roy Child gouge is the HS1 aka Superflute which is a 5/8" gouge.

A search on the Henry Taylor website (Click on Gouges in the side bar menu) gives:
The original Superflute HS1, designed in 1978 by Roy Child, has sold in thousands all over the world and remains the ultimate gouge used by most leading turners. Now made in a range of sizes the ½" or 3/8" gouge recommended for general purpose work and the ¼ gouge for small bowls on very delicate cuts.

Another search on the Henry Taylor website (click on H.S.S. Woodturning Tools - Page 1 in the side bar menu)) shows HS67 as a 11/4" x 3/8" bowl scraper under the Richard Raffan design.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 12:31:10 PM »
Mark's comment is correct.
The Roy Child gouge is the HS1 aka Superflute which is a 5/8" gouge.

A search on the Henry Taylor website (Click on Gouges in the side bar menu) gives:
The original Superflute HS1, designed in 1978 by Roy Child, has sold in thousands all over the world and remains the ultimate gouge used by most leading turners. Now made in a range of sizes the ½" or 3/8" gouge recommended for general purpose work and the ¼ gouge for small bowls on very delicate cuts.

Another search on the Henry Taylor website (click on H.S.S. Woodturning Tools - Page 1 in the side bar menu)) shows HS67 as a 11/4" x 3/8" bowl scraper under the Richard Raffan design.
Thanks Sandy and my apologies to Pete regarding the name :-)