Author Topic: Tool rests  (Read 10899 times)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: Tool rests
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »
I made this one when I made a Windsor chair for myself. Wooden banjo's with a wood strip to which I added a length of angle iron.The white strip is masking tape with all the measurements written on.
Ron

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2019, 05:01:17 PM »
That is excellent Ron, worth cross posting that picture in "Show us your Home made jigs and racks" perfect use for story board and custom toolrest  where the time to make the jig was less than the time to work it individually (often isn't in my workshop sometimes I could make 9 legs in the time it takes to make the jig plus 4! ) :)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2019, 05:30:43 PM »
Ron's version looks excellent to me.  Great replies and advice here!  I have now been using a simple hard steel rod tool rest from Axminster (not very expensive) and it seems fine and unmarked so far, but the wax idea may be worth a try.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »
I find these days many of the cast iron tool rests are what they used to be. So for me I have both round and square approx 25mm in cross section these have proved to be very durable along with minimal vibration.
The only challenge was bending them into the various curves I wanted, ended up borrowing a 25 ton hydraulic press to get it all done.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »
Thank you every one for the comments on my tool rest, it works well and saves a lot of time constantly  moving the banjo.
Ron