Author Topic: Tool rests  (Read 10900 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Tool rests
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 01:35:21 PM »
I am a great believer in Libron Lubricating Wax, my tool rests, lathe bed, various threads, bandsaw table, router table etc all have a coating of it. Stops wet wood causing rust, and keeps everything nicely mobile.

That being said, my Myford Mystro in use since 1996 which I have recently sold had the original toolrest with it, which I and presumably the previous owner had redressed from time to time with a file was still in good order with plenty of metal left.

All instructors in real time or DVD say that turning should not be a struggle with the tools but  a light almost self supporting touch, so those with bad habits get yourself a well placed block of wood for knocking the shavings out of the flute, those who are wearing out cast iron by levering chisels into timber may want to relax a bit :)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 06:50:50 PM »
Might feel Heath Robinson but it is a method that has been used for many years. Jolly Jim the pole lathe turners use wooden tool rests all the time.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 06:55:47 PM »
i've just checked and my robust tool rests are 4 1/2 years old and i use the 15" straight one every day and there is not a mark on the hardened rod.

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 12:00:34 AM »

Thanks Bodrighywood and BHT for replying to mine. I might try it out, I could do with just a
short rest, maybe 3inches or so, and see how I get on. It might be that I just make the post from wood and the rest itself, from metal. I've seen some drawer pulls in BQ that might do the job. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with the idea - thanks again

regards - Jim

ps to Bodrighywood, if it's not being too nosey, could you say what the origin of your name is and how it's
pronounced?- I'm intrigued.......cheers

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 08:00:06 AM »

ps to Bodrighywood, if it's not being too nosey, could you say what the origin of your name is and how it's
pronounced?- I'm intrigued.......cheers

Bodrighy is the name of the house I was born in in a little village called Cadgwith down on the Lizard a few years ag. Wood becaause I work in wood. It is pronounced Bod-ree-gee (as in geek) .

Pete

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 09:29:08 AM »
i've always pronounced it as "Pete"...

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
Gorgeous house Pete, didn't know you were so minted!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 10:00:25 AM »
Gorgeous house Pete, didn't know you were so minted!! ;D ;D ;D

I'm not. That one burnt down in the '60's and I am afraid I couldn't afford to live in the village now let alone in Bodrigy LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 11:17:21 AM »
Don't know the house Pete but used to go to Cadgwith regularly when I was a wee lad in Helston.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 07:42:02 PM »

Thanks Pete - amazing story !!!!!

Best wishes - Jim :) :) :) :)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 12:10:24 PM »
As an aside, if your tool rest really is that soft maybe a length of 10mm or similar rod welded to the top may assist. Any fabricator or hobby welder should be able to make tool rest to your requirements, it quite a simple job with a mig or tig welder.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »
"As an aside, if your tool rest really is that soft maybe a length of 10mm or similar rod welded to the top may assist. Any fabricator or hobby welder should be able to make tool rest to your requirements, it quite a simple job with a mig or tig welder"

Do you think it might be necessary to grind the top flat afterwards to remove any deformation of the bar due to welding? My gut feeling is that a new tool rest made completely out of (let's say) 1" bar (or whatever diameter fits the banjo) would be easier and better?

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 06:08:48 PM »
I do a bit of welding in both Mig and Tig and no I dont think deformation would be an issue in those sizes if welded correctly, the round bar could initially be tacked in place for you to try it and any alterations made before adding a few beads to make it more permanaent with either method.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »
https://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-lathe-tool-rest-7

Shows a home made rest using flat stock instead of bar - i quite like this one

Offline Stew

• iron
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »
It would be little extra cost to switch the steel used to something hardenable if home making. For anyone that needs, I have an electric heat treat oven. .