Author Topic: tutors map  (Read 3785 times)

Offline wider

• gold
tutors map
« on: September 19, 2019, 10:53:28 PM »
how long dose it take to sort out the tutors map and listing. I was on the listing till late and for what ever reason I have been taken of. I have been asking to be linked to the tutors map as well for several months but this has still not happened.  can some one get in touch and discuss with me what has happened. many thanks in advance.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: tutors map
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 06:16:48 AM »
Given that the AWGB is run entirely by volunteers, rather than attempting to publicly embarrass one of the association offices in this way, perhaps it would be better to do it privately, or even to volunteer to help.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 07:00:15 AM »
les this was not a point of humiliation but a point of finding out exactly how long it usually takes to complete this .

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 09:23:35 AM »
Well, Les does have a point here. The AWGB are constantly struggling to find enough volunteers to run the various aspects of the association, including membership and website. So if there currently is nobody or if that person has some personal issues that take priority, it can take some time. After all, this is not a commercial entity.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »
From the point of receipt of a completed application form (which we have to insist on due to the data protection regulations), it should take up to a month to appear on the website. Updates are put in the database then parts of that are replicated to the website roughly monthly.
Unfortunately we had difficulties over the last year with the previous webmaster / data manager having enough time to do what was needed so the work was split between myself and another officer. Now we have new volunteersin place doing the website and data manager roles so I'm expecting the websites to get a long awaited overhaul in the near future and updates may happen faster.

As others have pointed out, we are entirely run by volunteers so sometimes life puts other demands on their time. We are always looking for extra volunteers to help with the huge workload involved in running the organisation.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 05:04:33 PM »
This reflects the problems with Memberships, treasurers and now web master, I think that these tasks are becoming too big for a volunteer. Is it not time to consider paid staff? Being a registered charity does not preclude this, the paid staff cannot be a Trustee.
Ron

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »
I didn't know we had any trouble with treasurers? Jeff has been in that job for quite a few years now!

Many of our members already complain at having to pay £18 per year to be a member, if we hired people to do all the jobs we cover, the membership fee would probably increase ten-fold.

It's the same as any voluntary organisation - if just a small percentage of the members contributed a small amount of their time, we would be able to do so much more. We have over 3000 members and only 20 volunteers. Less than 1%!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »
I didn't know we had any trouble with treasurers? Jeff has been in that job for quite a few years now!

Many of our members already complain at having to pay £18 per year to be a member, if we hired people to do all the jobs we cover, the membership fee would probably increase ten-fold.

It's the same as any voluntary organisation - if just a small percentage of the members contributed a small amount of their time, we would be able to do so much more. We have over 3000 members and only 20 volunteers. Less than 1%!

I think this is also the case for club members to committee members. I offered my services to a club I belong to but no one wanted to take my place after 14 years so I had to be harsh and state that was it. I now never put my hand up anymore. It may seem selfish but once bitten and all that.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 09:37:02 PM »
thank you Paul Hanaby for your and others comments. it was just a query to the length of time it takes as I was at one point on the tutors list but then seamed to disappear from it.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 10:38:25 AM »
I know that this thread has become broader than the initial post but I think it is an important one. I have stated previously how one can volunteer and then get dropped on from great height and then say never again. That was for me a negative aspect of wanting to get involved with the running of an organisation. There is a strong positive centred around accountability to employing people to do some of the tasks. If it is paid work then the membership can reasonably expect things to be done in a certain way and within a given timeframe. I might instance an organisation (of some 100 or so members who pay in excess of £100 per annum) which employs a treasurer/office manager, a publicity person and a web person. If the AWGB membership costs became higher to cover something along those lines, so be it. Realistically members get a lot for a relatively small outlay. It would mean that the organisation is able to function whilst leaving its membership to get on with whatever interest draws them to it and not spend their time supporting others' interest. That said, many people have their own reasons for wanting to volunteer, mainly I suspect through an altruistic "wanting to contribute" or maybe as an extension to their hobby/pastime/interest/profession.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 05:46:42 PM »
Thanks John, you have said it better than I could
Ron

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 10:43:47 PM »
You only get out what you put in. In the forces they always said never volunteer for anything, so I volunteered to join the mess committee, this got me out of some unpleasant work details and I was given the opportunity to try some delightful food. I volunteered to do a 16mm projectionist's course, once again against the advice of the old sweats. I showed films in the Sgt's and Officer's messes and received free beer for the priviledge. I started a local woodturning club and was given lifetime membership, I joined the AWGB and joined the committee and although I had to operate a camera I was given a better than ringside seat at the seminar free of charge. And I joined the RPT and was made chairman (that's not the bloke that puts the chairs out before each meeting  ;D ;D ) So volunteering your time and your effort now and then can reap rewards. But it can also be an enjoyable way to get to know interesting people and make new friends. And yes there is an element of putting back into the craft that has paid my wages for heaven knows how many years but there is more to it than that, helping with youth training means I am playing a (small) part in preserving the craft for the next generation. Taking part in competitions helps to showcase our craft to the uninitiated, stepping up to the mark makes life a bit easier for those that hold higher office in an organisation, you would want someone to step up when you are in charge so why want anything different when you are not?
Just my thoughts.