Author Topic: ash bowl  (Read 1816 times)

Offline wider

• gold
ash bowl
« on: September 13, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »
seen as I am going to be selling the Hampshire sheen products from the 1st October when my unit should hopefully be up and running. I thought I should do a few items to put in the display cabinets and show the product of. this is my first item and it is Ash with electric blue on the outside and the electric green on the inside. all comments welcome

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: ash bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 01:06:53 PM »
Nice bowl. Having said that, I am not a fan of the colouring. It's not that I am opposed to using colours (my previous posts here provide plenty of evidence), but this particular application would not make me want to buy this bowl. Sorry.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 05:03:16 AM »
Just shows how opinions differ , I like the colouring on the outside as it picks out the grain , would have liked it even more if the inside of the bowl was done the same  :)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 05:36:11 AM »
I have much the same feelings, I like the form, the weight, the general finish, but really don't like the inside whilst I feel that the outside's ok. There is a very orange hue on the inside, especially as you say it was treated with "Electric Green"!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 05:23:57 PM »
hi All
  Thank you for your comments. the reason the inside is the colour is because I sand sealed it first to see how it would look and the outside is not sealed but used the grain filler on the wood then a finish on top. I must agree with you all about the inside of the bowl and may be re finishing it and not use the sand sealer but put the filler on to the timber first and then the Hampshire sheen on top. I will post a photo of the finished item soon.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 08:41:30 AM »
It would have looked better photographed on a solid surface rather than carpet which is spoiling the form.
Must agree with others on the inside colour it just does not work

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything