Author Topic: Beginner woodturner - a birch bowl  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Tero Uotila

• iron
Beginner woodturner - a birch bowl
« on: August 15, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm a beginner turner from Finland and am interested of learning more about turning.
  I have a crappy very old small lathe, no chuck and a joke of a set of chisels, I don’t even own a bowl gauge. I’m making the best I can with my equipment, can’t afford to buy new ones at the moment, maybe one day then.
I have been turning for a few months now, so I’m as green as they come. Have had now schooling for turning except Nick Zammetti's and R Humphrey's channels on you tube, maybe couple of others as well.

All feedback is appreciated.

This is my latest project, little different from what I've seen anyone make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskK7wYwYyI&t=56s

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:29:41 PM by Tero Uotila »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Beginner woodturner - a birch bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum and well done for showing your early work. The finish on the oak/birch in the first picture is excellent, more-so because you're such a beginner. There are tool marks on the second piece, but I suspect that as your experience grows and as you learn tool techniques, this issue is going to diminish greatly.
Well done....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Tero Uotila

• iron
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »
Thank you Les  :)

I'm learning all the time, every piece I turn I learn something new and I do believe I have a lot to learn.
I basically started from nothing, having never even seen someone turn, other than on youtube.
Now that I started, I'm hooked  ;D

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »
That sounds like the thin end of a very long and expensive wedge to me  ;D In my view though the equipment and the ways of working are not nearly as important as the finished product. Having an eye for a quality outcome is more essential than having lots of tools. I am reminded of the saying that some people "have all the gear but no idea". Yes, the second image shows some tooling marks but the first image shows the potential. Nice one !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »
Tero,

welcome to the forum, please feel free to ask us anything you need to know. We are a friendly bunch and help where we can.

Comments by Les and John stand, but I'll add two things for your future turnings.

1. Don't always think you've got to turn a finished item. Just turning to understand the tool, or a technique is sometimes more important.

2. We've all done this and sometimes it's the hardest lesson to learn, but don't turn the biggest thing you can out of a piece of timber.  The shape or design is more important than the size of the piece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tero Uotila

• iron
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
I do agree with you on your points. I have tendency to try making the biggest possible bowl/platter or whatever.
Tools and techniques are hard to learn and require a lot of practice. At the moment my tools aren't really very good or even right for what I use them for.
I am now about to buy my first bowl gouge, just can't decide should I buy a "superflute" or just the basic one.  Your opinions are welcome!