Author Topic: Hello - question about new - overheated gouge  (Read 1763 times)

Offline James SD

• iron
Hello - question about new - overheated gouge
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
Hello,

I'm new here - apologies to have signed up initially to ask a question.

I received a new spindle gouge today from Axmininster.  Their own 'Premium' brand.  The edge is slightly overheated, so that it shows in places around the edge, and the very right has some of the material missing.  It's not a lot, and as I'll be reshaping it, I'll cut it away anyway.

My concern, is whether this is just an overenthusiastic grind on the tool, or whether it may be that it happens to be a poor piece of (Ms HSS) steel.  I'd be grateful for any views - should I be returning it, or simply grinding out? 
Thanks
James

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Hello - question about new - overheated gouge
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 12:47:39 PM »
Personally I would return it, you presumably paid for a perfect tool, though as you say it is often the case we regrind to personal preferences anyway. If you have a store nearby may be worth a visit so you can inspect a replacement. If by post then start by sending the photo to customer services
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »
Axminster generally have a good reputation for customer care and at the very least, they should be made aware of this. I'm sure that they'd not think twice about replacing it, if that's what you want.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:03:09 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't bother returning it unless it is shorter than advertised or very badly overheated.
Either of these could indicate that it is a used tool, which definitely should not have been sold as new.
Duncan

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 03:22:32 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't bother returning it unless it is shorter than advertised or very badly overheated.
Either of these could indicate that it is a used tool, which definitely should not have been sold as new.
Duncan

If you don't pull up tool makers on badly made tools they will possibly never know they have a faulty jig or untrained member of staff on the payroll, if I saw a range of sorby / ashley isles / crown et al tools in the shop with bad edges I would never buy that brand again and also would spread the word not to buy them. So not reporting it to Axminster could cost them a lot of reputation and money if several of these get onto a shelf.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline James SD

• iron
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:45:08 PM »
Thanks all, and apologies for the delay.

I emailed Axminster to ask what they thought and they have sent me a freepost label to return it and dispatched a new one.  I was on the fence (and so the forum post) but they seemed happy.  It does mean I won't be troubled when I grind it to shape tomorrow.

Thanks - I'll have a wander around the forum. :)