Author Topic: Peace and Tranquility  (Read 1833 times)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Peace and Tranquility
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »
I am taking part in a local Art Trail and couldn't resist sharing some images ! The view from the outside is of interest too. The tree to the left is a Judas Tree, Cercis siliquastrum. If you are offered any timber from a Judas Tree it has superb colour and markings. Well worth a look.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Peace and Tranquility
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »
Lovely photos. A very nice setting for your work. It's hard to get an idea of size but they look quite large pieces and are impressive.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 03:41:01 PM »
judas tree is nice but it splits like hell so get ready to lose about 70%.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:44:24 AM »
Mike, yes, they are big. May I refer you to Woodturning, September 2019 issue 335 ? Seventh devil, Judas tree is never very big unless you get the rootball so the pieces are generally small and thin walled. I have had three lots of the stuff and I have turned them green with very little splitting and only moderate movement on drying.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »
Very nice John a couple of cracking pieces

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:00:16 PM »
Mike, yes, they are big. May I refer you to Woodturning, September 2019 issue 335 ? Seventh devil, Judas tree is never very big unless you get the rootball so the pieces are generally small and thin walled. I have had three lots of the stuff and I have turned them green with very little splitting and only moderate movement on drying.
ATB John

perhaps the smaller the tree the better it dries?

my bits were large for a judas (12-14" diameter) and starting to get that typical fluting on the trunk and i rough turned and sealed all of it but lost alot.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 06:37:43 PM »

perhaps the smaller the tree the better it dries?

my bits were large for a judas (12-14" diameter) and starting to get that typical fluting on the trunk and i rough turned and sealed all of it but lost alot.
[/quote]

That maybe the case, I also turn green to a finished shape then let nature take over. Maybe that suits the timber.

Thank you Derek, metaphorically and physically "cracking pieces"  ;D
ATB John