Author Topic: Exotics  (Read 6593 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Exotics
« on: August 24, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
I have just been watching the news about the deforesting of the Amazon Rain Forests apparently it is at a rate of one football pitch a minute.
Somebody is buying this wood and it aint me.
I am not an eco nut but I do not see why anybody would buy exotics when we have plenty of beautiful woods in our own country.
I know somebody will justify it by saying I only buy sustainable certificated wood but how can you be sure that it is somebody is buying the stuff.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Exotics
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 09:31:52 PM »
At the moment deforestation is due to the fires which some say are deliberate. Main cause though is to access oil and minerals there and the wood is mostly burnt odd or used as scrap lumber. A small amount actually gets onto the marlet as timber for use which is arguably worse. Personally |I feel tha there re enough amazing timbers available from the Uk without having to resort to exotics.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 09:35:45 PM »
George, I totally agree with you. Nothing else to add.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 09:59:13 PM »
I dont think that is strictly true Pete i was watching something about it recently and apparently they put in logging roads and remove thousands of tons of timber.
The authorities must know this is going on.

Regards George

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 12:31:34 AM »
By exotics I assume you mean imported wood? If not, what classes as exotic? We are offered wood from all over the world.

I don't think it's a simple as saying if we all stop buying / using wood from the rainforests, they will be safe. Nothing could be farther from the truth! Many rainforest areas are being cleared to make way for agriculture, mining etc. and the trees may just be burnt to clear the way.

One product that seems to crop up over and over again is palm oil. This is being produced in areas that were once rain forest so perhaps we would do more to protect the rainforest by not buying food products that contain palm oil?

There is also the argument that if nobody buys the timber, the trees have no value so they are cleared to make way for something which does produce an income. Not buying wood may actually harm the resources we are trying to protect...

Offline Mike Amphlett

• iron
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 01:13:00 PM »
I attended a demonstration a long time ago and the demonstrator definied an exotic timber as being "An ordinary timber that is a long way from home."

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »
Perhaps focusing on timbers taken from 'the wild' that are threatened might be simplest.  It is quite simple to check the CITES status of anything you are unsure about. Mere rarity is not the only issue - sandalwood for example I think is mostly harvested from planted groves but is scarce because it is used for oil. But you can look about - I found Jarrah as an old railway sleeper very cheaply (it was definitely so used from the shoe marks but is very durable and still fine to use).  And there are unusual but not rare timbers here - ivy for example and elder (very popular as wands for Harry Potter fans!).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:41:25 AM by willstewart »

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 10:04:00 AM »
I fully understand the arguments and statements made. In my very humble opinion I trust the opinion of the very reputable companies that I buy my wood from. If they stop stocking it I will stop buying it, and I know this comment will attract differing opinions but there is not timber that matches African Blackwood for turnability and finish. If I wanted to get a painted finish I would make it out of plastic...whoops that is bad for the planet too. Home grown timbers are the best in the world for certain applications but sometimes only an exotic will do.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 10:08:13 AM »
That is interesting John What applications are the where only African Blackwood would do.

Regards George

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »
George

Woodwind instruments for example.  You might be able to dye boxwood black but the sound might not be quite the same.

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
George if I wanted a nice black finial African blackwood, in my opinion , cannot be betttered. Yes you could turn it out of Boxwood and dye it or stain it  but to my eyes it will always look inferior to the real thing. I accepted that we should stop using Ivory in turnings as I do not wish for animals to die just to enhance a turning and there are now acceptable alternatives on the market, acceptable in price and in turnability, although some are still a bit of a challenge . The antiques industry (which I do work for)have also accepted alternative ivory so all is well there. But there is no credable alternative at the moment to Af Blackwood. When there is I may consider changing or as I said before, if my suppliers stop selling it I will not buy it. However I have to say that I treat it as a valueable commodity,it should be used sparingly and only on top quality pieces. Unlike one country which used to buy in Brazilian Mahogany to make shuttering plywood, the amount used in this country probably makes no difference. Also as Paul said if nobody buys the wood it has no value so might just aswell be burnt.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 12:13:52 PM »
I have to confess to having some exotics in my collection, though most of it is recovered salvage. 95% of the wood I turn is from UK sources, some of that is garden trees so maybe not a UK species.

I am guilty of exploiting the price point of Chinese plywood for my new workshop cabinets, low price has as much to do with the voids and paper thin layers, it is pretty shoddy product, I know that MDF is the same price, and made from sustainable woodwaste  but it is just not the same.

I think the impact of turners on imported woods is a fraction of the problem, Cheap imported timber products e.g. furniture is where most of it goes.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »
95% of my wood stock is homegrown woods where trees have been removed and are going to be just burnt or taken to the skip. The rest are woods that are from woodturners who have had to stop turning for health reasons. These in many cases have got the original stickers on them dating back so long ago. I also recycle very old furniture made of solid wood more for model making.
I can't remember the last time I went to a turning supplier or anywhere else to buy exotics for my hobby come to think of it I can't even remember the last time I brought any wood including homegrown. Call me a cheapskate if you like but I love free wood. ;D ;D ;D

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »
We all love free wood and I have my fair share of it. I also agree that woodturners, especially in this country do not contribute much to the destruction of the Amazon, although one tree taken illegally is enough. As long as the sources are protected ie certifiable stock as George mentioned I do not feel I am doing anything wrong. And yes I also agree that we cannot verify whether wood comes from a sustainable source or not but with FSC approval, Cites agreement and reputable companies , short of not buying any wood, which I think would be disasterous, we have done everything to ensure it comes from reliable people.

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »
Looking at the definition of Exotic ..google thanks

Exotic lumber is a somewhat difficult term to define as lumber native to one global region may be considered to be exotic in another, making the definition location specific. Other than the natural occurrence of lumber species in any given location, there are no other specific characteristic traits that apply to exotic lumber.

So to my woodturning friends in Brazil I have some Exotic Yew, Laburnum and Magnolia
No pockets in shrouds spend it now