Author Topic: LED 'tea light'  (Read 1222 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
LED 'tea light'
« on: August 24, 2019, 07:35:28 PM »
Something to do with a small LED tea light - not a masterpiece of turning but the idea might be of interest.  A not-too-small child might see it as a lighthouse?  The coloured LED randomly changes (the white is brighter but steady).

The technique is fairly clear from the top view without the lid - six holes 34mm deep drilled in a circle with a pillar drill, with the positions defined with the aid of the lathe indexer.  Then an intersecting 30mm Forstner bit hole drilled down the centre on the lathe and three intersecting grooves cut into the holes from the outside, with the open end supported partly by a rotating centre in the tailstock.   A good deal of careful sanding is needed to clean it up - a piece threaded across between opposite holes helps. The final structure is fairly robust.  Wood (offcuts) is maple with a mahogany lid.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: LED 'tea light'
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 09:12:33 PM »
As a starting point to develop ideas from, I like it. The drilled out core so there are support pillars is a good idea that works and gives an added interest.

I can already see several ideas already using this as a jumping off point.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!