Author Topic: Sycamore vase  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Steved

• copper
Sycamore vase
« on: August 23, 2019, 07:25:53 PM »
Keep meaning to get back to posting another piece but just never seems to be enough time to fit everything in. This one completed about two weeks ago, its Sycamore carved with a Proxxon carver, sprayed green then sanded back and finished with an acrylic spray. All comments welcome.

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: Sycamore vase
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »
I quite like this form and the decoration works well.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 06:26:22 AM »
The decoration suits the light colour of the sycamore, in that it is light in its colour as well as having lightness in its shape and composition. Added to that, the general form of the vase is also very good, with a clean, flowing curve right through it.

Les

p.s. ... perhaps this would have been better photographed against a dark background; the white of the background blends into the sides of the vessel at one point, making it difficult to fully appreciated just how good the form is.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 07:44:44 AM »
I like this a lot. The shape is very pleasing and the carving nice and crisp. The green colour works well too :)

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 11:30:51 AM »
Les.

I take your point regarding a darker backdrop, something else to go on the must have list.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 01:12:54 PM »
Very nice again the simple pattern and colouring suits the wood colour

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 06:29:00 PM »
The one problem I had with this vase which doesn’t show in the picture, is that the green has leached into the grain in one or two places, fortunately not enough to spoil the whole thing and it will probably only me that will ever see but no amount of sanding will remove it. I should have known better and it’s another lesson learnt. Next time I will use lots of sanding sealer before I spray a colour that’s to be cut back in this way.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 09:28:13 PM »
The simplicity of the whole of this, the shape, the carving even the unassuming green work to make this relaxing to look at.

Thank you for posting.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 05:24:28 PM »
Thank you all for all your comments. Have not looked in for a few days so apologies for delay in responding.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »
It does look good and leaching is not apparent.  But it does make me wonder about colours - some paints (like ultramarine and ochre usually) are pigments, meaning they are suspensions of insoluble coloured powders, but most use liquid coloured dyes and a white pigment (often titania).  For most purposes this makes no difference - but in terms of leaching into wood it might. Does anyone know?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »
Stains, dyes and inks can leach and it is best to either define the edge of the design by cutting or using pyro first. They are best if you wish to blend the colours in situ though as opposed to on the pallette. Acrylics tend to sit on top of the wood and give a denser look.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 07:42:03 PM »
Thankfully the leaching is not that noticeable and I think due to a basic error on my part, in that I should have sealed the wood first. Though in my defence, most of the colouring I do is with the Chestnut spirit stains and with those I don’t think I have ever wanted to cut them back in the same way.

Steve