Author Topic: Wide rimmed Bowl WIP for Willstewart  (Read 1956 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Wide rimmed Bowl WIP for Willstewart
« on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:14 PM »
I have done a WIP on my Bog as promised for Willstewart or anybody that is interested

http://wwwartistry-in-wood.blogspot.com/

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Wide rimmed Bowl WIP for Willstewart
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 08:41:14 PM »
Well done George.

Just one thing and that is most of us put it on our Blogs and not on the toilet ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »
Initially I was going to address this post to George, the Original Poster on this thread. But I have decided to address it to the entire forum. This thread represents everything that is GOOD about this forum. An experienced turner taking the time to pass on his knowledge and experience to another. And, in doing so, it is passed on to the likes of me - a newcomer to wood turning. Thank you George.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 08:57:44 PM »
Yep seen it Derek i wont alter it or members will wonder what you are on about LOL

Thank you Mike I am quite happy to do these if Members are interested.
If you look back over the years you will find a lot of WIP's

Regards George

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:27:42 PM »

I second that Mike as George said it takes longer to take pictures and write it all up than make the piece well done GBF.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:07:23 PM »
Brilliant! On the list for Christmas.
Thank you George, much appreciated.
Duncan

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 08:07:41 AM »
George - thanks very much indeed!  Much appreciated!  There are a good many nice ideas here (I rather like the scrunched paper bag!), and the variety of finishes and the need for speed are impressive.  I have used and valued Yorkshire grit but have wondered how much of any underlying coaing/sealant might be removed by the abrasive effect of the grit?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 08:40:51 AM »
Thank you Wiil

Yorkshire Grit recommend sanding down to 240 grit and then using Yorkshire Grit.
I sand down to 1000 Grit and if I want to leave the piece as pure wood but polished I apply Yorkshire grit very thinly with the lathe stopped then start the lathe slowly and work the grit in sweeps from the center to the outside then gradually speed the Lathe up until the surface feels smooth this only takes about a minute.Then I apply the Hampshire sheen the same way.It is important to apply both products evenly with the lathe stopped this way you avoid getting lines in the finished surface.

If I want to leave a laquared surface I apply Acrylic sanding sealer then Gloss or Satin laquar wet on wet allow to dry then do as above.
Or I apply Celulose Sanding sealer wipe of exess imediatly so as to only leave a thin coat then treat as above.

When I spoke to the Yorkshire grit Man at Yandles and told him how I use it he was supprised and said had never heared of anybody using it that way but agreed if it works that is good and it works for me.

The thing about finishing is you have to take the time it takes and not skimp it is usually only a minute or so between a perfect Job and a bad job.

Two things to remember with Woodturning Form and Finish that is all you have to get right and if you do that the best turner in the world could not do better you.

Regards George

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
Very many thanks for all your hard work in doing this George.  Manna from heaven to us hobby turners.  Lots of really useful tips and wrinkles.

Tim

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »
Thank you Tim  Regards George