Author Topic: Beginner woodturner again - Segmented Pine bowl  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Tero Uotila

• iron
Beginner woodturner again - Segmented Pine bowl
« on: August 17, 2019, 05:14:49 PM »
Hello again everybody!

I'm the beginner turner from Finland, you might have seen my earlier post here: http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,6025.0.html

This is a segmented pine bowl made for learning purposes. Again all feedback is appreciated.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Beginner woodturner again - Segmented Pine bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 09:57:01 PM »
You have achieved a good finish on that bowl, for a beginner, so well done to you. If you're wanting to advance your turning, start studying shape and form. Look at the shapes of vessels that you see on this and other forums and think about incorporating those shapes into your work....single, flowing curves can look so much more pleasing!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 01:01:37 AM »
Bottom line is it needs more curve, work the outside into a nice curve then follow that with the inside. aim for a bowl that is thin enough at the rim to be pleasing to the touch while thick enough at the base so that when you throw an apple into it it catches the apple rather than tips over and you will have it about right.

Its all about the outside for looks and the inside for function. hope that makes sense I have considerable alcohol on board while typing so it probably doesn't
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
Given the softwood and the segmenting I see every reason for a thicker wall  ;D I would echo the comments about bowls with curves though.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Tero Uotila

• iron
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »
Thank you all for your feedback!

Gives me a lot to think about and helps me to get better. Lots of practice is the only way to learn really.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »
Tero,

this is a perfect example of the second rule I wrote in my reply to your first post.

Nothing wrong with the level of your work, but the bowl is wrong because you've tried to make it as big as you could from the blank. This gave you the square sides and unappealing shape.

And don't worry about me saying that, my good lady still has several of my early bowls with the same issues.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!