Author Topic: How do clubs need to respond in modern ‘Web’ era?  (Read 7702 times)

Offline michaelb

• bronze
Re: How do clubs need to respond in modern ‘Web’ era?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2019, 07:45:09 PM »
The AWGB gains and about 600/700 members each year and loses  about the same amount.  The split between Club and individual is about the same as % club 7&individual. It is not just a club issue. Most members come in at the latter stage of the age spectrum, and could be said when they are reaching retirement age or jut retired . Like most thing in life "its something I want to try"when I have time of course some will try and move on other will like it and enjoy the hobby and the friendship it brings within the cub and even make enough to pay for the wood cant do that playing golf.

The big thing clubs have to do is to encourage the younger turner especially in the age group 40 to 60 and on way irrespective of changing days of meetings etc  is to when a new member joins a club he or she is given a club mentor to help , guide and encourage and build a relationship that lasts .
A successful club is not always a about numbers but what it does and retains members.
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 01:24:55 PM »
I used to be a member of Surrey Association of Woodturners, but seeing I now live at the other end of the country attending meetings is impossible.

I did try to start a club in the area l live and failed, in fact the process wound me up. The issue was that whilst talking about a club I gave out some wood. The message that got out was turn up for a club meet and you will get free turning timber. Never found out who started that rumour but it killed the whole idea.

I miss having like minded people to talk to and share ideas and skills however think the way forward is possibly webinair groups.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2019, 07:56:00 PM »
David, try again, don't let a bad experience put you off. We started our club ten years ago and three of us met to get it started, one letter to the local press, brought a bout twenty people to a pub to discuss what to do, and we ended up with ten members and grew to around the mid thirties each club night.
Get the basis of your committee onside first, have some support, much better than going it alone, try again, clubs have many things to offer that the internet cannot
Ron

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
When I started my club the AWGB were very helpful. Martin Lawrence was the area rep at the time and he came along to about the 2nd or 3rd meeting and talked to us about the AWGB. We decided to affiliate that very same night. You don't say where you are, let people here and on other turning websites know and I am sure you will gather support. Your local rep will probably get in touch and give you help. Look at the RPT website to see what professional turners are near to you, get in touch and see if one is willing to help out. Look for likely premises to hold a meeting, I would suggest village or church halls are the best but local schools and colleges could also help out. Send me a PM and I will give what advice I can.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2019, 02:05:34 AM »
If you are thinking of starting up a club, we can search our membership database to find AWGB members in your area and inform them of your intentions. The AWGB can also help with setting up the club and potentially with grants for equipment etc. to get the club off the ground.

Contact me at chairman@awgb.co.uk for more information.