Author Topic: How do clubs need to respond in modern ‘Web’ era?  (Read 7809 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: How do clubs need to respond in modern ‘Web’ era?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 08:50:41 PM »

Hi George,
                  You are correct  ;) Regards John
John Smith

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 11:11:20 PM »
and that continues until your wife wants you to get out from under her feet and then you join a woodturning club again!! ;D ;D

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »
The challenge for my club is not so much mebers watching youtube, but getting them to read their eamils! 9( Oh and reply to them)
Ron

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 01:07:08 AM »
Personally I feel that clubs are missing a trick by trying to focus on demonstrations that take the whole evening, don't get me wrong the demonstrations are good and worth attending, but the short time left means that I really don't know anyone from club nights, a few I know from other events take my attention so the 20 minutes or so that is not demonstration time is gone before anyone gets to know anyone, so why not sit alone at home and watch YouTube?

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 09:02:41 AM »
In my club there is an opportunity to meet and speak to members before the demonstration begins and halfway during tea break. I feel that clubs that book demonstrators want the demo to last as long as possible to get their money's worth, which I have to agree with. Also goes the other way too, if I spend all day today getting ready for a demo (which I will be doing today) I don't want to travel 100 miles or more just for an hour long demonstration, after putting in the effort I then want to produce a good demo rather than have it cut short.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 02:27:37 PM »
Personally I feel that clubs are missing a trick by trying to focus on demonstrations that take the whole evening, don't get me wrong the demonstrations are good and worth attending, but the short time left means that I really don't know anyone from club nights, a few I know from other events take my attention so the 20 minutes or so that is not demonstration time is gone before anyone gets to know anyone, so why not sit alone at home and watch YouTube?

The club I belong to has two meetings a month one on a Saturday which is all day with two tea breaks and one for lunch, this is normally kept for a professional demonstrator. And the second is a Tuesday evening where a member will make something small and fairly easy for the first half of the evening, this then gives those that wish to have a go and also allow new turners to also make the item with help from members. Those that do not turn in the second half have the opportunity to have a chat with other members again with the tea break.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
That it or dilemma, get the best from the demostrator, or give time to the members, we give members a chance to show their work but few do. As we have our meetings in a toolshop, with volunteer staff, we are limited to the one night a month for club nights. I spend most of the evening talking to as many members as I can, before the demo starts and tea break. Nothing worse than sitting in room full of strangers and being ignored!
Ron

• platinum
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 08:27:02 AM »
We had an official meeter and greeter for new members at one time, but as we are a very friendly club we don't need that now. We all speak to whomever comes through the door.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
We had an official meeter and greeter for new members at one time, but as we are a very friendly club we don't need that now. We all speak to whomever comes through the door.

Oh please tell me you have a member called Norm  ;D  As in the TV program Cheers.

Bristol club is also friendly, but there is a world of difference between a room full of people saying "Hi" and knowing what lathe, preferred brand of tools, sharpening system, etc. people have.

I in no way wish to take clubs off the demonstration circuit, that is an important income stream in the trade, as well as a way of those with a talent for distance teaching to develop that craft, the best of which could go on to make DVD's etc. that can lead to an international career.

But clubs need to know the members are a key strength of a club surviving, both as members and as a resource beyond what DVD / Internet can provide.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »
Twisted Trees I agree but I also have to say there is nothing in club rules to say that you cannot meet members outside of club meeting hours, so sometimes it could be down to 2 people just hitting it off and making a friendship. I think the old fashioned word for it is fellowship, but you do need an outgoing personality to a certain degree. Me? I just talk to everyone, I am sure the people on the tube in London when I go think I am the village idiot but I don't care, I like to talk to people.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
I am the opposite to John and find it hard to go up to people and chat though once I get going I lose my stop button LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »
As a relative newcomer to turning I think a lot of what is said is valid but for me the most important things in attracting new members are the times and locations of the meetings and the opportunity of beginners courses. I looked at joining several of my local(ish) clubs only to find the meeting were held at a time it was impossible for me to get to after work. I also enquired about tuition and got an extremely lacklustre response. I do understand we all can't be within a mile of the venue but why not have varied days. One month Tue, the next Sat then Sunday. Give the working people a look in. Why not hold beginners days at the weekend? New turners are the future members clubs need them.
As a result of my initial enquiries I did not join any. Its a shame as a bit of turning and a chat with like minded people would have been nice but there you go.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »
As I said farther up in this thread, clubs need to consider their opening times with regard to when people can attend and also need to think about how they can help newcomers to turning. The AWGB can help clubs with funding for training workshops, equipment etc. if they can't fund it all themselves and we have training material available too.

If you can't get anything from your local clubs, look out for the training courses on offer on the AWGB website and in Revolutions. There will be a few for the first part of next year coming out in the next quarter.

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2019, 07:19:52 PM »
In reply to the comments made by crazylegs. I can see the appeal of having meetings on different days and/or at different times but  a lot of this depends on when the venue is available. We use a church hall so Sundays are completely out for my club. The other thing to think of is the average age of members means it is easier to stick to a timetable so that everyone knows what and when without getting confused. It can get very confusing at times especially when ...........I forget where I was going with this! ;D ;D ;D see what I mean?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »
We had difficulty finding a Venue and the only one available to us dictated our meeting days.
We meet on the last Wed of the month and that seems to suit our Members
http://www.burnham-on-sea-wtc.co.uk/

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything