Author Topic: Pierced and coloured bowl  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Pierced and coloured bowl
« on: August 02, 2019, 12:34:01 AM »
This is one of those bowls that the colour is either a love it or hate it. Turned thin from Field Maple and the 6 pierced oval panels painted with iridescent paints, Measures 6" X 2 1/2".

I know there are going to be those that dislike the colours  ;D ;D ;D

C & C welcome.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Pierced and coloured bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 12:59:34 AM »
I would like to see some wood, but that is a personal thing, the form and piercing and even the colour is excellent I am just quirky about at least a patch of wood showing through.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 06:30:27 AM »
For me, the form and the piercing work, but I hate the colours, I wouldn't have liked either one of them on its own, but together I think they just jar against each other and make things worse.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:32:45 AM »
Looks like I am jumping on the Bandwagon  Dont like the colours at all

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 09:00:09 AM »
I once made a comment about a fully painted bowl in this forum and was converted when it was explaned that sometimes the base material (wood, ceramic, glass etc.,) was just a carrier for the final design, in the same way artists use boards of wood (the Mona Lisa is painted on Lime).
Since then I have looked on fully coloured forms as an expression and where the wood itself is quite bland, a way of making something attractive where it was not before.

Having said that, I like the shape and the piercing, the blue is a good colour but for me the green does not seem to work, not sure why but it seems a bit loud against the blue.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »
.... the blue is a good colour but for me the green does not seem to work, not sure why but it seems a bit loud against the blue.

The blues, purples and greens are all too close together on the colour wheel. The general consensus of opinion is that if you are going to mix colours, then those from opposite sides of the wheel should be used!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 10:21:32 AM »
Not keen on the colour either but also for me the thickness of the paint detracts from the pierced section making it look heavy. Someone somwhere will no doubt like it but sorry, not for me this one despite the work and skill that jhas gone into it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »
I like the shape of the bowl, and the layout and shape of the perforations. The colours might not be my first choice but I'm OK with them. As B has said, normally colours from opposite parts of the colour wheel give a better contrast. For me though, when two colours are used (anywhere) the detail of where those colours meet, the crispness and cleanness of that 'joint' are very important. In the top image, at the top left of the front perforated area, the blue seems to overspill onto the green. I think I would have under-carved the edges of the perforated area slightly to ensure I got a clean line between 'plain' and 'perforated' as this might help getting a clean joint between the two colours. I wouldn't have made such a long comment if I didn't think the piece was worth it. Nice piece, lovely shape, I like the overall concept :)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 11:29:57 AM »
Thank you all for the comments I appriciate all of them and the honest replies which is what it is all about.

.... the blue is a good colour but for me the green does not seem to work, not sure why but it seems a bit loud against the blue.

The blues, purples and greens are all too close together on the colour wheel. The general consensus of opinion is that if you are going to mix colours, then those from opposite sides of the wheel should be used!
Les

Les I think that a colour wheel may be a good investment. I will get one tomorrow off of Ed Oliver

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 11:49:44 AM »
Not wanting to cost Ed a sale but a search for Colour Wheel will throw up hundreds, then pick on and print it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »
Thank you all for the comments. I just need to work on my colour scheme a little more by the sound of it. It just goes to show the difference of opinion on this on another site mainly American members they seem to like the colours. That does not make them right. ;D

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »
I used to be a staunch member of the round and brown brigade, perish the thought that anything as beautiful as a piece of wood could ever be coloured. :o :o Fast foward a few years and now I am quite happy to colour wood, indeed I even include it in my demos now!!
About this piece I think it has been well turned and pierced, the underlying finish (according to the quality of the top finish) would appear to have been very well done. The shape is pleasing to the eye. As for the colours,well I agree with with Les's comments about them being close together on the colour wheel but sometimes when colours "clash" it can have a jarring effect on the piece. This is a Marmite piece, love it or hate it, I have to say I love it.