Author Topic: Hate waste  (Read 2056 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Hate waste
« on: July 26, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
Pretty much run out of my stock of burr. Not being one to waste any I made this little petite four dish. It has been gilded on the natural edge and put on an black lacquered plinth. Left one sawn edge to maximise size and gilded that as well. Bowl is 7" dia. and the whole thing is 8" tall. C&C welcome as always

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
Re: Hate waste
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:42:47 AM »
Great idea for the leftovers, well done.
Now the left over bits are often my bug bear, often weird shapes. I used to have a young guy who had some degree of autism that like to make pens etc. So I would send all the little bits to him, but he seems to have disappeared.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:43:31 AM »
Thank you Hughie. I always say if it gets too small it becomes a key ring LOL. This piece was a side end from a burr I had been given by someone who reckoned I could do something with it. Far be it for me to disappoint them LOL.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »
Pete,

We can always rely on you to find something interesting to do with unusual off-cuts and leftovers and your recient adoption of gilding has added a really interesting additional dimension to this.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 10:07:25 PM »
Thank you Bryan. First did some gilding about 8 years ago and then got side tracked. . Always looking for something different though and do hate waste LOl.
this was the first thing I did in 2011 on a scrap piece of chestnut

Pete

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 11:04:45 PM »
That last piece is very much to my taste. Love the 'screws'.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 01:10:03 AM »
Not a great fan of the straight sided bowl look, would prefer a curve. but I do like that you have left the sawn edge it adds character rather than detracts from the bowl. a few pieces I have made in the past have been left with chainsaw scars on them in part to maximise the size but also because I like the effect of polished and rugged together.

As for the size I have noticed that 7 to 10" bowls outsell 11 TO 14" pretty much all the time these days, lack of sideboards and smaller homes demand smaller pieces I guess.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)