Author Topic: Beginner woodturner again - Birch plate  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Tero Uotila

• iron
Beginner woodturner again - Birch plate
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
Here's one more picture of my very early work. This was meant to be a kind of a cheese platter and its about 10" in diameter. It was all made from scratchwood, you can also see how I made it on youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4xcGP-QuCM

Again, all feedback is appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:48:17 PM by Tero Uotila »

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: Beginner woodturner again - Birch plate
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:29:47 PM »
I'm sure that this piece functions well. It would be easy to handle/pick up from a surface and there is the vee groove to collect the crumbs. There is a solidity to the design as befits its intended use. The photgraph suggests that finishing might be a problem. There is apparent evidence of tooling and sanding marks and whatever finish has been applied to the piece has not been worked evenly down into the vee groove.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
It looks functional. I quite like the overall shape but, as John has said, there are some sanding marks. Since you've made a video of it, I hope someone with more experience than me will have time to review it and give you some thoughts on your turning technique. Thanks for showing your work :)

Offline Tero Uotila

• iron
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:34:59 AM »
Thank you for your feedback!
Maybe I should have sanded it more with a finer grit. My technics are getting better with every thing I turn. Lots of practice and then more practice :)
All feedback from the community helps me see to what I should concentrate on.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 01:11:26 PM »
A well thought out piece for its use. Like others, there are many things that need addressing. I have watched some of you u tube videos and you seem to be using all of your tools like scrapers and this can lead to some tear out as I saw with this piece, I would advise joining a club or find someone to aid you in using the tools correctly this will help some of the problems. Even though you sand through the grits do you remove all of the marks from the previous grits if not then spend a little more time doing so? When applying finishes try to do so with the piece stationary and use a rag only applying thin layers otherwise you can drag the finish around the bowl leaving marks just like sanding marks.
Sorry for going on a bit but hope some of this helps, keep practicing and most important enjoy the journey

Offline Tero Uotila

• iron
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
Thank you for your advise.
I really would like to join a club, but there is not a lot of them anywhere on my area.
Finland is such a small country and woodturning is not really a thing here. At least I can't find many turners.
There is one club for turning, but it's almost 150 miles from my home.