Author Topic: Gallery Stat's  (Read 6317 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Gallery Stat's
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 09:41:35 PM »
That is a fair Question Dereck.
To be honest I have not looked at the Forum for probably a year or more I used to look every day and comment on most things with more than a that is nice .
I did find that a lot of members resented any honest Critique and went into a sulk if you did not say what they wanted to hear.To be honest looking at some of their work now they have not improved this is the result of not taking on board critique from more experianced turners but that is anothe subject.
Beleave it or not I have been contacted by several Members asking why I dont use the Forum anymore.
I thought I would start putting a few things up and do some WIP's and see if anybody is interested and when I looked I could see a few were puting pictures up but Members were not commenting which seems a shame.
Does that answer your question Derek

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 09:50:49 PM »
Thank you, George and glad you took my question to you in the manner in which I intended it as I am not always good at putting things down in the written word.

I must confess that on many occasions I forget to put C & C welcome at the bottom of my posts but do like to have it. Sometimes I have already seen the problem after I have posted a piece

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 09:58:54 PM »
I have always beleaved Derek that if you put pictures on a Forum you should be prepared to receive C & C anyway.
If you saw some of the comments and Critique I received on my work when I started it would make your eyes water but years ago we soaked it all up and moved on.

Regards George

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 10:19:37 PM »
Of course the other thing could be lack of time, sometimes I just quickly scan the forum to see what is new but don't always have the luxury to compose a decent reply orthe type of reply that the piece deserves, which then brings me back to whay I said earlier, if I can't find anything nice to say (and now add in ) the time to write something nice to say, so for example a fair critique, then better off saying nothing.As an example of time starvation I notice my first reply this evening was 7.49, it is now 22.16. I have been sat at this computer all evening doing other work and in all that period of time I have not been able to stop and type a nice critique.....and now it is time for bed.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 10:27:53 PM »
I am not answering every comment as I am more interested in what members think than what I think
This thread is getting a lot of interest and comments I wonder why that is ,maybe because others have noticed the lack of input on some threads

Regards George

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 07:20:07 AM »
scores GBF 6 Derek 3 BHT 2 Les 2 all others one ....turning time nil
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »
...probably totally inaccurate, Michael, you have no idea how much time each of us has spent turning since this thread started! Having said that, if what you meant was that the time that each of us spent writing our posts in this thread was at the cost of turning time, well then it will be a sad world to livwe in if one's work or hobby had to take absolute precedence over any degree of social interaction.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 09:22:31 AM »
Hi Les that just about sums up what I was trying to get over on this thread

Regards George

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 10:47:13 AM »
Forum stats are often misleading, I have my computer located between my workshop and my coffee machine, therefore I look at this and other forums as well as my Email on the frequent journeys  between the two key points of my day, if I happen to open your gallery post, make coffee go to the workshop for 47 minutes then on route to the next coffee hit refresh on the open page I will have looked at least twice according to the stats, but may not have stopped once to really look.

On another forum I have a multi page review, that involved me stopping work frequently to take stage pictures etc. which has been seen over 200 times without a single comment it is not only the nature of the internet, I also have articles into the club newsletter, which receive zero feedback, I know they get messed up with photo's out of place or even non related photo's mixed in to them, but even that should get some comment! I missed this months deadline as I was away for a few days, and there is NOTHING except editors notes in this month newsletter. 

But I work on the optimistic theory that someone will one day recall one line of my babble and go out and do something fun or useful as a result.

Many of the pictures in the gallery I don't comment on, but they are all designs floating around my head that may one day map onto a piece of timber I put on the lathe, so please continue to post, pewter doesn't interest me at this moment of my life, but shapes and forms and ideas come from seeing things. Similarly I was in Cornwall yesterday, spotted some turning by John Fells, no idea if he is a member here, the shapes and forms were mostly standard fare but I took interest in the pricing for the items, it will all help to guide my hand to ensure that I am in the ball park with my work. The community of turners is important especially as we are often so far apart and so distracted in this modern world.

In a nutshell, Please keep sharing your work, I can't always comment, often if I just think "that's nice" it feels wrong to just say it. But if I copy the design that is a great compliment, you will probably have to just imagine it happened as I will have forgotten the source of inspiration long before I forget the flow and form of a design. 

Damn... coffee has been drunk... need to make one to take to the shop now! ;)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 11:14:13 AM »

Yes turning time nil for me but what you forget is that some of us can't stand for long periods at the lathe for one reason or another. It is now taking me twice or even three times as long to produce something and just wish I could spend longer doing so.

So comments like this are useless without other facts

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »

Yes turning time nil for me but what you forget is that some of us can't stand for long periods at the lathe for one reason or another. It is now taking me twice or even three times as long to produce something and just wish I could spend longer doing so.

So comments like this are useless without other facts
37 % of all statistics are made up ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »
I can think of a number of reasons -

Perhaps some of those who didn't http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/Smileys/classic/tongue.gifcomment took note of the gallery guideline which suggests people should ask for a constructive critique if they want it...

There are those who just treat the forum as an opportunity to view but don't participate.

There are also those who don't put their head above the parapet for fear of getting shot at!

Some may not be confident enough of their knowledge of turning to pass comment in front of people they don't really know.

I think the same is very much true of social media - look at some of the posts on there which show how many hundreds of people it reached but there are only a handful of comments.

Coming at this from a different direction -

Perhaps we shouldn't expect others to comment but should just be happy they took the time to have a look and have the confidence in our own work not to need the reassurance of others?

I think we have to put ourselves in other people's shoes and think what they are trying to get out of the forum rather than what we are trying to get out of it.

Or perhaps we should stop trying to attach meaning to something which has none and get on with turning!  ;)

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 06:51:30 PM »
"Or perhaps we should stop trying to attach meaning to something which has none and get on with turning!  ;)"

It would be so easy to spend a lot of time being interested in woodturning leaving precious little to do it  ;D  ;D  ;D
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2019, 02:39:19 AM »
Unfortunately there is a drift toward social media to the extent that some woody forums have shut down. But I agree we should all add our comments where relevant and I am  no better than most or perhaps worse as I have been absent MIA so to speak.