Author Topic: Gallery Stat's  (Read 6195 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Gallery Stat's
« on: July 17, 2019, 10:18:24 AM »
I have just been looking at the Stats on the Gallery and see that lots of Members are looking but not commenting why is that '
Sometimes Threads are viewed hundreds of times and get one or two comments that is not very encouraging for the Members who take the time and trouble to put stuff up.
Forum's are a great place to see what is going on in the World of Woodturning and an opertunity to learn from others.
An oportunity to share ideas and develop your turning .
This used to be a really good Forum very active and some lively discusions but it seems to be slowly dying.

A few weeks ago I put a picture in the Gallery of a Bowl with a Pewter rim and at 88 views and no comments I removed it and I will tell you why because I also did an exstensive WIP on my Blog to go with it not for my benifit because I know how to do it but to help Members who dont know.
Yesterday I put a picture up of some Box's and Paper weights with Pewter inserts again with a very detailed WIP on my blog to help other turners that have not done this sort of work.
On this Forum no comments on my Blog 117 people viewed that WIP yesterday  therefore I can only assume that a lot of you looked at it.

I am not crying because nobody commented and told me how clever I am I dont need that but why would I or anybody else go to the work of doing a WIP if nobody is interested enought to comment as it is a hell of a lot of work.

The same goes for Members putting pictures of their work up give them a bit of encouragement.

Regards George

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:04:25 PM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Gallry Stat's
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »
One reason I don't post much on here anymore. Bit depressing getting no response to something.  Must admit with some including you George I tend to respond more on one of the social media postings.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
Like many I belong to many forums. I did comment on your paperweights but on another forum. I am slowly starting to make only one comment on any of the forums this does not mean that I am ignoring posts. I have not read any of your blogs on the pewter process because for the time being I can not see me doing it soon but maybe later.
I also know that some of my work although simple turning has had comments in other places and don't always expect another on other forums

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »
I too suspect that much of the problem is the continued attraction and popularity of social media. I tend to comment where I first see an item and recall commenting on the pewter-ringed paperweights, but then I also tend not to comment a second time if the same item appears elsewhere.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Gallery Stat's
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »
I think you misunderstand Les it is not about my posts that was just an example.

Regards George

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »
Surely a Forum is there for what members want either to comment on or not, whatever the statistics are does it  matter.   
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 06:32:01 PM »
It matters to members who go to the trouble of putting pictures and info up.
As a matter of interest what promted me to start this topic was a private message on FB to me from a Forum member

Message as follows

Thanks George, I appreciate your comments , it fucks me off that we make the effort to photograph and post etc, and we get nothing back, it’s not so much about getting praise, more about honest critics from your self, that’s the point of posting

This is a comment from a Member o f this Forum in a private Message to me this member has been receiving tips and help from me via private messages and his work has improved enormously but he like probably many others feel they dont get support from this Forum.

Regards George

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »
I don't post anything as I was trolled big time on another forum some years ago ,
Just don't need the grief .
Also some comment here in the not to distant past have been awful ( Thay's my opinion , I think we are still allowed opinins ? ) and I'm not opening that can of worms again .

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »
It all ends up on social media, and some very nice pieces get a limited response. As Bob Dylan told us 'Times they are a'changing'
Ron

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 07:49:25 PM »
George I stick to the saying that if you cannot say anything nice say nothing at all, I comment when I see a piece that I feel warrants some comment from me otherwise in my opinion if I comment on every piece I see what I say is worthless. I know that you along with many other turners I know collect work made by other turners, I have to say that other people's work has never interested me to the point that I would buy a piece from another turner and commenting can fall into the same category. Also, passing a comment on another person's work through a media such as this can be mis construed ( I know you know about this) so sometimes just saying nothing (in my situation) may be the best thing to do.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 07:53:23 PM »
Whilst I mostly agree with you John if I do post a piece I usually add 'C&C welcome' but as few if any respond I don't bother too much any more. I tend to be more concerned what non turners think of my work as they are the ones who buy it so for me social media is a better place to get critique and comments,

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 08:33:23 PM »
George,

I'm sort of with you. I often look and don't immediately comment, I might look a couple of times over a day or so, just to be sure I've seen whatever it is correctly and I'm not just making a comment for the sake of it.

I also make sure that where something has not been commented on, even some days (or a week+ if I've been away) later gets a comment from me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »

Hi George,
                I can understand your frustrations about the number of views on Gallery postings but very little comments I am sure this is the same on most Forums some just look but don't like to comment for whatever reason it is the same as people who post on the Forum just to sell Items then never post again but then looking on the positive side of this it may do members some good if they can buy tools at bargain prices. Nothing in this world is perfect but please members don't stop posting.
                      Regards John

John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 09:16:51 PM »
I think you misunderstand Les it is not about my posts that was just an example.

Regards George
...Hi George...i appreciated that....I was just quoting your recent post as an example. I think that the use of social media is now so widespread that it's going to make many forums somewhat less popular than they used to be. Woodturners Unlimited is a recent example of just how a woodturning forum was struggling with exactly the type of problem that you were highlighting, and which has now even gone to the extreme of closing its web-site and forum, and relying purely on a Facebook page.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 09:18:05 PM »
I know that you brought the subject up George just out of interest how many of those that have posted work did you comment on and those that you did not was there a reason.