Author Topic: Growing use of pewter in woodturning.  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
Growing use of pewter in woodturning.
« on: July 20, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
Good to see more mixed media posts, especially using Pewter.
This piece was produced for the 2011 seminar, a long time ago now.
A section of Yew stump used to create a lidded box with pewter filled inclusions, finial and foot. C&C welcomed.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Growing use of pewter in woodturning.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 10:52:00 AM »
Wow. That looks amazing. Would love to see other photos of this piece from other angles, with the lid off etc. I love the form, the material and the finish. A very creative piece of design.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »
How did you get the pewter to stay in the inclusions?  When I've tried this, I've had to cast the pewter into the holes, then knock the pewter out and glue it back it to ensure it stays in place, before turning it. I suppose if there were lumps and holes within the inclusion then you might get a mechanical fit which would ensure the pewter stays in place, but I've never got this to work very well...

Beautiful piece of work. I really like mixed media turning, and pewter is a great material to work with. I like the physical weight it adds to the work.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 11:25:22 AM »
Fairly easy to design the holes to be dovetailed or grooved before casting.  See for example my posting at http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,5975.0.html

I do not like removing and gluing - hard to keep it neat.  But however careful you are the wood and pewter move differently, so the edge between them will always 'feel', as in this pen for example.  Otherwise arrange for the edges to be unfeelable as in the vase!

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 12:27:12 PM »
Love the pen Will. Tried as a central divider on two piece kits but was never good enough.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 05:10:26 PM »
I like this a lot but it looks like a hell of a lot of work I think I would find it hard to get my head around it.
very well done

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
It’s certainly an eye catcher and I like it. Would be interested in how you cast the finial?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 10:08:24 PM »
I don't think it's just pewter, I see many things being added to some peoples work, introducing many new ideas and techniques to the humble turned item, making some turners more Mixed Media artists than wood-turners in themselves.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »
Buzzbee that is a very nice piece and looks to be very well made and finished however for me the finial is too heavy, if it was lighter and more delicate it would become a beautiful piece.

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »
Bowler hatted Turner. I agree with you about the finial. (This was worked by hand from a cast cylinder Steved and threaded into the lid. ) I think the lid is too heavy also. Perhaps a minor rework when I fully recover from hand surgery.
Many thanks to you all forfinding the time to comment. Much appreciated.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »
I don't think it's just pewter, I see many things being added to some peoples work, introducing many new ideas and techniques to the humble turned item, making some turners more Mixed Media artists than wood-turners in themselves.

I agree. I use metal leaf, glass, brass, aluminium and copper powders, pewter, beads and gemstones in my work. Always looking for new ideas regarding mixed media.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 09:14:47 PM »
Firstly, this is a beautiful piece of work. There have been comments about the size and weight of the finial and the lid, and to some degree they are valid. However, the whole piece has a slightly chunky look about it, and as such I think it works. If you were to rework the lid and finial, then you will probably find that now the wings need reworking too. I'd leave it as it is. And I think this is a great proponent of why this forum works: different ideas, made well and presented well. I too would love the see more pictures of it, including the inside.

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 10:26:28 AM »
Here are a few additional pics as requested.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 12:25:53 PM »
Wow again. If my eyes don't deceive me, you have a checkboard finish on the inside on the base and something at the centre (a fixing of some sort?). Excuse my ignorance but what's happening there?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 10:00:55 PM »
The pewter in the cracks did not show up, or rather was not immediately noticable, in the first picture, so I'll add a 'Wow' here.

There is an awful lot of work that is not immediately apparent when you see more of it, amazing work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!