Author Topic: Work Experience & DoE Award  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Work Experience & DoE Award
« on: July 14, 2019, 07:30:28 PM »
This is Alistair,

He has been coming to me to learn a new Skill one evening a week as part of his DoE Silver award.

Then he asked if he could do his work experience week with me. Well I think there is a difference between learning and working, so I set him the task of turning a dozen stair spindles during the week. Okay so they are only the turned part, not full length I did not think he could handle the vibration. They took him 4 days, not fast but it was not about speed, it was about doing the job and learning to repeat turn. The 'Storyboard' he used is shown below the spindles.

At first he was not sure how he was doing but on Thursday morning I told him he was better with a Skew than many amateur turners, they don't even like to pick it up, let along use it and turn a set of spindles, but it really is his tool of choice.

These are an 'Off the Tool' finish, no sanding was done, close examination of the photo may show vibration induced chatter marks, torn grain and damaged pommels so please don't mark him down for that.

I also have a second young lad who comes on a different evening, this is my way of giving back to the world of turning and hopefully bringing in new blood or at least future turners if they come back to it when they are somewhat older.

For anyone interested in doing the same for young people who want to learn, Public Liability Insurance is a must but for the Work Experience Week, I also had to take out Employers Liability which was a very reasonable £30.80, which in all honesty was covered by his parents.

C&C as you will and thanks for looking.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Work Experience & DoE Award
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:38:08 PM »
That young lad has done a great job . . .  and so have you :)

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:11:31 AM »
Fantastic and what an opportunity you are offering - well done to you and to Alistair.

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:36:04 AM »

Very well done both, and Alastair....you have earned
the right to look pleased with yourself !!!!!

I might add that it's better than I could do !!!!!

Be Proud !!!!! Upwards and Onwards.....

very best regards - Jim

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
One of those moments where I see that there is a lot of good in this crazy world. (a) Here is a youngster committed to a scheme of some significance through which he has chosen to develop his woodturning skill and (b) he has found someone willing to invest time and effort in him. What a lovely and heartwarming story. The look of satisfaction on his face speaks volumes. The spindles in my view are a significant but smaller part of a much bigger picture.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »
Not really much to say that has not been said already.

Well done to you for taking the time to teach and him for listening and doing a great job as this is the first time turning

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »
Hi

As someone who volunteers at a local secondary school helping them with their DofE scheme, I applaud the help you have provided your student. I spend around 600 hours a year helping where I can, predominantly with their Expeditions, Map reading and First Aid. Last year the long time DofE coordinator at the school retired and on doing so was lucky enough to have been nominated and received an MBE for her commitment. To mark the occasion I turned this scorched rim Ash Platter and then for my first attempt at pyrography, I added the DofE logo in the middle. It went down well with the recipient ..... even though it wasn't quite to the level of receiving her MBE a few months later.
Steve

It doesn't matter how perfect it looks, there's always room for improvement.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 05:26:51 PM »
Nicely done Schurchy, I too used to do the D of E expedition training, I enjoyed it immensly, many many weekends spent on Dartmoor and Exmoor or climbing in N Wales. My body won't let me do those things now so I have to put up with woodturning all the time ;D ;D