Author Topic: Green oak....or is that brown!  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Green oak....or is that brown!
« on: July 12, 2019, 08:25:43 PM »
A valued customer of mine had a large, old oak tree fall in her garden, so she phoned me to arrange for me to get in first and pick the bits I wanted. Luck was on my side because I was able to get to it at the same time as the tree surgeons, so I could stop it being cross-cut into choppable rounds. The tree surgeons were brilliant, picking out all the junctions and putting them aside for me.
When I got them home, most were bucked to size and end-sealed with wax, but I decided to rough turn this one piece, mainly because there was a promise of considerable fungal infection and I'm a sucker for a bit of brown oak. After 2 months drying time a few cracks had appeared, three of which reached out to the rim, so these were secured with copper staples made from boat nails and roves.

400 diameter x 170 overall height.

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Green oak....or is that brown!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 08:03:53 PM »
I'll bet someone is a happy customer.

And you ingenuity reaches out again to another source of originality, copper staples made from boat nails and roves. And you don't even live by the sea.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Green oak....or is that brown!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
...and you don't even live by the sea.
Ah, but I live close enough to have co-owned a 50 year old, clinker built, Hinks of Appledore estuary bass fishing boat and we did a lot of restoration on her.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.