Author Topic: Manky old oak  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Manky old oak
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:30:22 PM »
Here's two pieces of oak, taken from a pile of reject bowl blanks and considered to be un-turnable a few years ago, but since then I've gained experience and sufficient confidence to have a go at them.
The first had large areas of decayed wood, you know the type with oak, not the white rot type, but the dry, biscuity, dark brown stuff, mostly around the outside of the blank, hence all the texture under the beads. It's 19cm diam x 12 cm high.
The second one was more of a problem for its radial and ring-cracks, which were quite advanced, although it also had a few pockets of white rot. In other words, it was firewood! I had to turn the outside, the rim, and the first centimetre of the bowl, then bead it, scorch and scour it, and lime wax it before proceeding. Once hollowing was under way I was able to determine which pieces might fly, so they were teased out of the bowl and copper-riveted back in, with a little epoxy under them to help. Once finished, the top few beads were lightly rubbed with copper gilt cream, just to reflect the presence of the copper rivets. It's 32cm diam x 14cm deep.
C&C always welcome....I won't be at all offended if you don't like 'em!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Manky old oak
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:39:09 PM »
I admire your perseverance. And it has paid off. All I can say is 'well done' . . . . :)

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 09:55:01 PM »
Very manky
Very, very nice!
Duncan

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:04:08 PM »
I like both of them.
The first I like the way you carried the beads over and into the top of the bowl and the fact you have the contrast between the burnt and natural wood.

The radial cracking on the second make that one.

I have a few Oak blanks that have gone like that which I keep looking at but will not throw out and many fellow turners say they are for the woodburner but I have other ideas

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 12:58:15 AM »
Not too sure what to say other than it's good to see some one actually accepting that no wood is past redemption. Beautiful result using what many would say is reject wood.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 09:32:46 AM »
Nice ones Les, two bowls with character, which would resonate well with woody types. A significant number of people enjoy pieces made from less than perfect material. Tobias Kaye has a wonderful concept, "organic perfection" and I think that these fit that particular bill. One of the other national figures (I can't remember who) refers to their work as "re-purposed firewood". A comment I get quite often after giving a demonstration is " I will look at the firewood pile in a different way now". I think that the less usual bits of wood often contain a lot of character which is a wonderful antidote to a clean and ordered world. The only problem is the one of the time needed to persist with with this type of work but the personal rewards can be great. Well done Les, power to your elbow !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
....is the one of the time needed to persist with with this type of work but the personal rewards can be great...

These two bowls are going onto our application to a gallery next week, for its summer open exhibition....if they get accepted, the reward will be more than personal  ;D

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 09:13:01 AM »
Les I like them both but I would like the second one better were it not for the odd sized ring, for my eyes that throws it a bit, otherwise love them both.

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 09:44:26 PM »
A masterclass Les
Once again you lead the way in pushing boundaries using blanks and techniques that most would not risk
Great stuff
I salute you
Best wishes
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 08:09:18 PM »
I think this is the first time I've seen something with a ring shake actually turned. In fact it was the third photo (showing the shake) that caught my eye first.

That one is an absolute stunner and the other's pretty damn good as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!