Author Topic: how far do you grind your tools down???  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: how far do you grind your tools down???
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 10:52:55 AM »
You do realise you tight fisted lot are keeping the toolmakers awake at nights don't you ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 08:46:56 PM »
I think some tools are more comfortable to use after they have lost a couple of inches off the end. I have recently ground flats past the end of the flute on a couple of half in spindle gouges so I can still locate them in the grinding jig now that has reached past the flute. I reckon I will get another inch out of them.
Dis-regard Graham's comments as it serves them right for charging so much for tools! ;D ;D ;D
On a serious note regarding Paul's comments about comfort I agree that some tools feel more comfortable once they are "worn in", but I do wonder if they would feel the same if purchased  two inches shorter in the first place, I think it may weel be that by the time they have lost the lenght we are just getting used to them. One of my favourite skew has only a couple of inches left to play with when some are almost the same lenght as they were when I got them more than 10 years ago!!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 10:50:49 PM »
I think many tools are made shorter these days than they used to be. Maybe something to do with either the cost of steel or the manufacturers trying to engineer more sales!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »
Short tool I can cope with it's short handles I find a problem. That's why when OI have to buy a new tool I try and get it unhandles. Certain makers are really bad for this.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »
Short tool I can cope with it's short handles I find a problem. That's why when OI have to buy a new tool I try and get it unhandles. Certain makers are really bad for this.

Pete
Seems to be the answer to that problem, make your own! How many of us just get used to our tools and find it slightly awkward to use any other?
Ron

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 07:57:57 PM »

Pete
Seems to be the answer to that problem, make your own! How many of us just get used to our tools and find it slightly awkward to use any other?
Ron
Many years ago when I worked on the bench we played a game lunchtime, the conversation was similar to this thread(it was a face to face conversation in those days, social media had not been invented)we talked about being able to recognise your own tools just by the feel of them, so lunchtime we duly laid in a line hammers from about 20 different joiners and then blindfold you had to pick out your own one. The older more experienced ones picked them out first time every time which reinforces what you have just said Ron, you do get used to you own kit. I have for the first time in years changed a wheel on one of my grinders, the angle that I grind at now has changed very slightly because of this,also just after changing the grind I had my first serious catch for many years so I am sure there is something in it.