Author Topic: Simon Hope Easy Hollower  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Steved

• copper
Simon Hope Easy Hollower
« on: June 29, 2019, 03:41:41 PM »
New boy here. Have been turning for a few years and have looked in on you from time to time, so think it’s about time I joined in.
To kick things off, I am after some advice on the Simon Hope Easy Hollower which I’m thinking of purchasing. I think I have seen most of the YouTube reviews and they all sound very positive. I am however still undecided on whether I should have the laser or the camera system to go with it. I would be very interested in your views, particularly if you have or have used one.

Steve

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Simon Hope Easy Hollower
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 05:28:08 PM »
I have owned a hollower with the laser fitted , I found it very useful and it did give a uniform wall thickness , not used a camera one though

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 07:08:51 PM »
I have the camera system and as the previous poster says, it is a useful accessory and easy to use. You probably need a bit more light with it than the laser system as the speed of the rotating wood does tend to blur the picture slightly.

But the thing with his system is the 8mm cutter head, it's smaller than most other carbide cutters and as such cuts a smaller amount of wood, hence a lighter/shallower cut and less torque applied back down the tool.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 07:06:45 PM »
Thank you for your replies.
I think I may end up with the camera, it looks as if it should be more accurate than the laser and need little or no adjustment for depth.
You make an interesting point regarding the smaller cutter which as you say should give a lighter cut, something I had not previously considered. Have been using both the Munro and Hamlet Big Brother cutters on a rig made for me by a toolmaker friend, which has served me very well for a number of years, though it has to be said, I now find a tad aggressive for my ageing bones. So I’m rather looking forward to an easier/smoother ride! 
Steve

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 10:37:44 PM »
I too have the camera system, and find it very useful. The whole system allows easy hollowing without bending over the lathe and producing back pain in the process. Very efficient cutters without  high levels of torque as dragonfly has said. Recommended.

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 09:21:52 AM »
Thank you for your comments, it certainly looks to be the way to go. Will let you know how I get on in due course.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 06:50:18 AM »
Hi Steve

I sell the system and have used both camera and laser. I preferred the laser. Your looking down at your work piece while hollowing rather than looking at a screen.

All the best

Ed

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »
Ed
Order had already been placed, though still not certain if I have gone in the right direction. Time will tell.