Author Topic: First Platter  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
First Platter
« on: June 25, 2019, 10:27:23 PM »
Never made one before, I am not really into colour or general artwork and figure they are better suited to those who like to embellish with paint etc.

But the competition at this months club meeting was a platter, and I had a suitable piece of sycamore that was 39cm diameter and only 2.5cm thick, so I made one. Didn't do anything in the competition though several people asked how I got the shine on it. Which was achieved with Record Power friction polish, topped with microcystaline wax.

C&C welcome.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: First Platter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 05:09:40 AM »
I can't say that the overall shape is to my liking. With a rim that wide and a bowl that small, it clearly is a purely aesthetic piece, so its shape might have worked better on a more striking piece of timber. I'm of much the same attitude as you towards colour, but this is a piece of timber that called out for decoration, be it colour or otherwise. On the plus side, a wide, flat surface is very difficult to achieve and you have what appears to be a really good one here....no ripples or bulges.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:57:21 AM »
Now that would be one I handed over to Mo to decorate. Like Les I feel kit is a tad too wide on the rim. Personal taste as always. Looks well made so just the subjective matter of design that I am not sure of.

Had a platter turned down for a club competition once as it had a bowl in it like this as I was told a platter must have a flat bottom.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »
Thank you both, as I said platters are not my thing, they need artwork which is not my skill, though I am beginning to play with basic colour splodges. I was pleased on a technical level you can put a straight edge on it with barely any high / low spots.

While originally I was planning on reversing it to turn out the woodworm scars on the back I left it with the chuck mount so I can re-mount it strip the finish off and hand it over to my son for pyrography before gently polishing again, though obviously I couldn't have put it in the club competition if it was not solely my work.

As for the small bowl in the centre, a curve is pleasing to me, so it was going to get one! Also single people need fruit bowls too  ;D

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 06:53:26 PM »

Well this piece is certainly different ... not sure of the image personal choice of course perhaps a larger centre.
   but well turned and finished.
   Kind Regards
   Tony.. di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:13:04 PM »
Even though I do turn wide rims this is just too much especially with such a plain looking wood as others have stated it is shouting out to be decorated. Maybe once it has had a little pyrography as you say maybe done it will change the piece.
Other than that it looks well turned

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 03:28:43 PM »
Too wide I said, BUT my wife said no, its the perfect size for banana's and grapes!! strip and decorate I said, BUT my wife said no make another for Ben to draw on...

Wife is out today, it has been stripped back to bare timber I will post a photo once I get it back from my son   :)

However my wife's comments have led to an idea for a double dip bowl / platter combination, has anyone done that who is willing to share a photo?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 10:34:52 PM »
I see a Georgian pointless table accessory, like Grape Scissors or a Truck for a Stilton Cheese, here we have a platter for serving One Apple.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!