Author Topic: Turning with resin  (Read 1760 times)

Offline CStanley

• iron
Turning with resin
« on: June 17, 2019, 08:59:50 PM »
I want Tod do some turning - part wood part resin. What is the best resin for turning and where do i get it.  Thanks

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Re: Turning with resin
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:24:13 PM »
Try www.easycomposites.co.uk
They sell epoxy resin suitable for casting into wood for turning.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »
Many resins can be turned but more importantly not all bond with wood as effectively as epoxy resin. Go for a slow curing resin so that the bubbles have a chance to settle out. Unless that is you can afford a vacuum chamber !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 09:29:02 PM »
Or you an buy ready made resin blanks for pens or small boxes.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »
Easy composites have now stopped doing their polyester casting resin which I have used a lot over the past few years

www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/water-clear-casting-resin-inc-catalyst

The above appears of similar quality

Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
Below is the reply i got from easycomposites when i queried their stopping supply

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your email and sorry that I don’t have better news about discontinuing the product – the product has simply become un-economically viable to continue with as the costs have increased so much that we haven’t been covering the costs of the material, let alone the packaging and decanting time – if we were to put the price up we would appear so uncompetitive against other similar products on the market and the suppliers thereof so the decision was made a little while ago to pull the product from our range. We were effectively looking at needing to at least double the cost across the pack sizes and from £7.95 to £15.00 (ex.VAT) would have just seemed extortionate.

We’re not planning on replacing with another Polyester Resin as we’re squarely now going to aim at Epoxies and Polyurethanes and neither of these will work in the same way as you’ve been finding the Polyester.

There are alternative supplies of similar products; East Coast Fibreglass in Tyneside being one but I do not know how their products compare to ours, they may even be the exact same or alternatively, you may be able to purchase directly from Gazechim Composites UK Ltd; the product is (CA1019) Norsodyne Clear Casting Resin (230kg) but I’m, afraid I don’t know if they have minimum order quantities or if they would be able to supply you – however, they may be able to point you in the direction of an alternative supplier.

I’m sorry that I don’t have better news for you.

Best regards,

Rich

Richard P.L. Rushton; BEng (Hons) AMRINA
Technical Sales Manager
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads