Author Topic: FOX FX4000 scroll chuck  (Read 7134 times)

Gary_Claus

FOX FX4000 scroll chuck
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
Good afternoon all,

I would like to pick the collective brains of the members and ask your advice on the FOX FX4000 scroll chuck.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-FX4000-WOODTURNING-CHUCK-INCL-JAWS-AND-CENTRE-PIN-AND-1-x-8TPI-ADAPTER-/251052940190?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3a73ebdb9e#ht_500wt_1287

I am on a limited budget and this seems a good buy.  However, it's not a make I have heard of and I would need to buy a 3/4 x 16 insert as well so quite undecided.

Don't know whether to wait for a Supernova or Axminster to come up or grab this.

Please help!!

Andy Coates

Re: FOX FX4000 scroll chuck
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »
Fox is a well known woodturning equipment manufacturer, and whilst not considred "high end" are perfectly good. I'd say anything under £50 for that chuck is a worthwhile purchase, especially with the advanage of multi-manufacturer jaw fitting.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Gary,

I'll take this on stage further. These are based on the Vicmark chuck and I cannot see that much difference, well maybe a little in the finish quality.

But they are not made by Fox, they are a Chinese copy of the Vicmark. This is the same chuck, http://www.warco.co.uk/2947-woodturning-chucks-lathe - I've got one.

For information they do take all Vicmark and Supernova jaw sets (not the Axminster though). But the screws securing the jaws are a size smaller than the Nova.

Hope that helps.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Gary_Claus

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:42 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.

As always, I appreciate your advice.

Time to speak to SWMBO (the banker) I think :-)

Gary_Claus

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 04:28:48 AM »
Well the final results of the auction (on the well known auction site) is..................

Ninety three pounds!! YES 93!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251052940190?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1433.l2649#ht_500wt_1287

Here is a link to a brand new one - on Hallvalue for.................

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Fox_Chucks.html

Seventy Five!!!!

I bid up to 55 then stopped.  It seems that internet auctions are not always the cheapest.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:50:33 AM »
e-Auctions are as bad as the real thing, it becomes a case of I must have it - and the sight is lost on the cost.

Worse, I've seen things go for almost full new value and with postage well over retail cost - frighting.

Rule 1 - always do your homework - well done for stopping when you did.

Jon Holden

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »
Another tip, although some people don't like the concept, is to use a Sniping service. That is to place a maximum bid which the sniping service enters in the last few seconds of the auction. That way you will never pay more than YOU think the item is worth and if somebody is willing to pay more you don't win it. This saves you getting into the "I must have" syndrome.

I use and free sniping agent called GIXEN with eBay.

Hope this helps.

Oh and for those who wish to slate me for "cheating", remember if you put in your maximum bid and lose the auction great, but if you must insist on chasing a bid buy upping the anti everytime someone over bids you then don't be surprised if you get snipped.

Offline Bill Mooney

• iron
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »
Try Rutlands Dakota chuck. £79 . Worth look.

Regards,
Bill

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 07:28:32 PM »
We had Alan Thomas http://www.atwoodturning.com/ demonstrate at our club last Thursday (21st June).

He had and was using one of these chucks, was happy to call it a Vicmark 'Copy', and proceeded to turn thin stemmed (3mm) goblets, one with a with captive ring on it.

Must say something for them.

woody

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »
I told a fiend what was said on here about the fox and Nova jaws being interchangeable because he is looking for a second chuck so he phoned Polewood up to purchase a fox chuck and  According to them the Fox and Nova jaws are not interchangeable has anyone ever tried them just to be 100% sure HELP please out side of the Axminster chucks I'm ignorant as to what is what

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
Okay - so I missed something - and it would seem that Poolewood has not worked it out.

The Nova and the Vicmark chucks are tightened (and by reverse loosened) by rotating the (Allen) key in different directions. So if you put the jaws on in the correct way, no they are not interchangeable. Jaw 2 will be too far towards the centre and jaw 4 too far out.

So I swap jaws 2 & 4 with each other. Then they work fine.