Author Topic: Objet d'art  (Read 1481 times)

Offline BIG KHS

• iron
Objet d'art
« on: June 14, 2019, 11:45:53 PM »
As mentioned in my previous post I was going to put up a second piece this evening.

Spalted silver birch coloured and lacquered body with oak legs, lid and finial ebonised with strong tea to up the tannin and garentee I got it as black as possible and good old rusty nails in cider vinegar.

Brass rod supports for the legs and yep a gold centre ring from a slimline pen kit in the finial.

16½" tall top to bottom and 5½" wide.

Look forward to see what you make of this.

Regards Kevin

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: Objet d'art
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
Designs of this type are not to my taste but one can appreciate the work that has gone into this piece. I prefer to see a satin finish rather than the gloss. I think that the delicacies of spalted birch are too fine for the laquered finish (albeit a good one ). The detailing of the finial is a good example of its type, with the inclusion of the brass collar working well. The lower part of the three supporting legs looks a little too heavy to my eye.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »

The concept and lines of the piece seem just right, its been nicely turned and finished ..... just one comment
  The top seems to pinch in  a little bit .. personal choice though. ( that's just us).
  Kind Regards
  Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »
I like this except the finial, the diamond shape at the bottom seems a little sharp against the rest of the curves. But one thing I've learned is finial preference is very personal, so don't worry that I (probably just me) is not sure about it.

Strangely I love the legs, the shape is reminiscent of an old steer board (the precursor to a rudder) on an old ship or even Polynesian dugout, the two brass pins also help that thought along in my head. (Yeah I know, I see things in a strange way).

And the colour, it's not screaming, for something that is basically a shade of orange, you've hit a great balance there, it's got a gentle 'Look at me', without being OTT.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!