Author Topic: Buffing system  (Read 5807 times)

Offline Sandy

• bronze
Re: Buffing system
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 10:59:33 PM »
Hi Michael,

The speed that Beall advises (1725 rpm) is certainly greater than you and some of the guys above are suggesting.  Are you using Beall or Chestnut mops or some other suppliers?

Thanks

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Hi Sandy
It’s the Beall system. Been using it for years. Having said that I’ve never tried any of the others. Lately I have been considering buying off the shelf mops but not so keen to do that without seeing them first. Might just take a chance off EBay though.
Cheers
Michael

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 01:19:11 PM »
Off the shelf ones are usually sewn and very stiff and also go onto a cone shaped screw thread so a different shaft would be needed.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 06:59:22 PM »
Hi Pete,
 I found unstitched ones and the mounting bolt will fit through the middle. Just not sure how sturdy they are. Would like to get a hold of one first. Not that expensive so might just give it a go.
Cheers
Michael

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »
I buy my mops from the motorbike shop locally. Apparently bikers like to buff their chrome  ::) ::) ::)
I have never had the problems mentioned here. I also clean my mops occasionally with 40 or 60 grit sandpaper of a clean wire brush. Works for me.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »
Thanks for all posts, lots of information being provided and shared on my problem and buffing experiences in general.  It seems my problem is rare, to say the least!  I've contacted the ToolPost and waiting for them to get back to me.

Thanks again,
Sandy

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 10:00:15 PM »
I’ve been on holiday so apologies for my tardiness in posting an update.  I checked and found that the instructions that came with my Beall system also had The ToolPost details so I felt happy to call their Customer Services team and then followed up with an email of the images of the mops the next morning.

Felix Hemsley, Gen Mgr, emailed me back within two hours with some questions on my use of the system which I answered that afternoon.  He came back to me the next morning, Thursday, to say he’d pass on the information to Beall in the US.  Felix came back to me again the following Monday to say he’d discussed my problem with Beall who'd agreed to replace the two damaged mops. They couldn’t add much on possible cause but it does seem it’s a very low level of occurrence.

The ToolPost willingly took on my query and handled it very promptly without me having to chase for feedback which I find quite unusual nowadays. I didn’t expect such a great resolution especially as it was impossible to define exactly what the root cause was.  I think both the ToolPost and Beall have demonstrated very good customer care and I thought it was worth passing on this example of such service.

And thanks to the posters above who offered their advice and comments.

Kind regards

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 02:33:42 AM »
Aha I think some of the problem is with the cloth I have several buffs that I hold in the lathe. One of them, the latest has major shedding issues as its looks like some over excited cat all the others are fine. So far it defies all my efforts to sort it out I am about to trim the frills off with scissors as a last ditch, so will see how it goes.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »
I get through the wheels fairly quickly but I do tend to buff a lot faster and harder than most.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »
In reply to   Sandy's comments about the outcome I cannot speak about Beall as I never use them but I would not expect nothing less from Toolpost as they have always been a reputable company IMHO. They also stock some stuff that other firms don't.