Author Topic: ASny ideas on what timber might work for this?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
ASny ideas on what timber might work for this?
« on: June 16, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
Hi  folks,

A question to the Hive Mind on this forum. I've been asked to produce a pair of candlesticks but they are looking for some kind of wood that is relatively dark but rich - something that looks the colour of a newly dropped shiny conker.

Staining or wax is an option, but before I go down that route, can anyone think of a timber that might give me such a colour without.

Thanks.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: ASny ideas on what timber might work for this?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »
I'd be leading with a nice piece of Burmese teak, or possibly heartwood of laburnum.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 09:35:34 PM »
A rosewood possibly, or brown oak (sold as such - oak that has had the right bracket fungus growing on it) might be nearest in hue.  http://www.lincolnshirewoodcraft.co.uk/ has some but so do others.  Ideally visit a timber place & choose! 

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 10:15:32 PM »
Sapele with a dark stain, touch of red in black can look like a dark mahogany. Rosewood is gorgeous if you can get it. Walnut is always an option as well. Ypu can get a really lovely deep finish on that if polished hard with a carnauba polish.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »
How about trying Utile? should be able to get some from commercial timber yards that supply the joinery industry. If you are in no hurry, at the end of the week I will eventually make it into my workshop where I may well have a piece at the back in the corner that has not seen the light of day since before the start of this millenium.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:24:02 AM »
Bryan, what sort of dimensions are you requiring?

i should be able to help you out with most woods.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 12:00:07 PM »
Why go exotic, newly dropped shiny conker's are a red brown colour,  yew heartwood  with a touch of dark shellac should get you there. And will retain the red brown better under uv exposure which tends to darken most woods.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »
I think I'd try walnut. Laburnum is good, but trying to get it all the same deep brown colour without any yellow steaks might be tricky. Sapele might be good, but it will take a while to darken to a conkery hue.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:27:36 PM »
Sapele stains easily if ypu put a little bit of black on some red stin. You can get a lovely dark mahogany look. Dry with a heat gun or if you're patient leave fpor 24 hpurs to emsure it's really dry, wipe on some Microcrystalline wax, leave for half an hour then gently buff with carnauba, comes up like an old magogany table.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »
I've just relooked at this thread and seen my spelling - Aghhh, sorry about that folks.
Note to self, must pay more attention to what i type!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 08:47:58 PM »
And now a thank you for everyone that has responded.

Les, I have both Burmese teak and enough Laburnum in stock, not sure the teak is dark enough but will polish up a piece of the laburnum and see what it looks like. Thanks for the thoughts.

Will, Not sure I want to go find Rosewood, although as I've never turned it, it would be an experience. Brown Oak, I did consider oak but thought it too open grained to polish up to a 'conker shine' finish, I've only worked Brown oak once, a long time ago and can't remember, is it any different?

Pete, Sapele, I have plenty of that, although I was thinking that if I had to stain something, I'd go with Van Dyke crystals as you can adjust the mix to get the depth of colour you want. That might take a few applications but less of a hit and miss affair to my mind. But I like the thought of the timber.

John, Utile, another of the Sapele family, I've used it once for a workbench top, never turned it. Is it a good dark brown colour to start with?

Twisted, Yew, I would never of considered that. I've seen it stained to a red, I actually thought it was the American Bloodwood when I saw it. I think I'd have to get a bit with clean straight grain, sometime hard to achieve in Yew, but it would give a great finish.

Steve, How much do I need, not a lot, enough for a pair of candlesticks for a guy's wife's birthday. What are you thinking of.

Percy, Walnut, yes, that was my first thought, I have some, but not really dark so I would have to source some darker or stain it down a shade or so.