Author Topic: Show us your Home made jigs and racks  (Read 15369 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Show us your Home made jigs and racks
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »
the only reason they will magnetise will be if they are scraped on the magnetic surface.
if you are careful and pick them off they should stay nonmagnetic.

so i'm told anyway.

i use mag strips for all my flat stock tools.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »
Tim when I made my tool racks shown at the start of this thread I used french cleats to hang them on the wall meaning that it is easy to relocate them if needed.

Since starting this thread I have another couple of jigs one I have shown somewhere and that is the earing stand hole drilling jig and the other is just a simple but plain doughnut jig but I made three different front plates to accommodate different jobs.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
I have to say that I agree with Mark's comments, less than desirable to have magnetised turning tools. I picked up a secondhand set of thread chasers a while back and they wer magnetised, not easy to use. Luckily a friend has a de-gaussing (?) device so managed to sort it for me.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »
Hello all, This will demagnetise gouges - https://www.axminster.co.uk/wiha-magnetiser-de-magnetiser-100302 
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 02:47:01 PM »
This is my main tool rack. The initial version was wall mounted behind the lathe, but firstly I had to reach over the lathe to get a tool, which is dangerous, and more importantly, it blocked my view out of the window. So this new version is mounted on a piece of kitchen counter top with coasters underneath, and I can roll it around the workshop. Note the protruding fingers at the sides, preventing tools from falling off, and the slot for the small parting tool.

Whatever doesn't fit into this rack is stored in the top drawer of a kitchen cupboard, also mounted on coasters, where the other two drawers hold all sorts of accessories, including my bowl saver kit and numerous jam chucks, sanding paper, etc. On top of that cubboard is mounted my Tormek slow grinder, and on the side hangs my selfmade steady rest (pictures to follow).

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »
It would be nice to have a workshop big enough to roll things around. I have operated for the last 35 years or so in a workshop that is 16 feet square. At times it looks like a bomb has hit it and then I have a tidy up and spend the next 6 months looking for things. :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 05:07:56 PM »
Most of my things roll around, so I can maximise the space I have. Which, admittedly, is more than 16 square feet. More like 30' x 10'.
Mind you, I had to buy the house and property that came with it, so it didn't come cheap.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2019, 07:43:51 PM »
Most of my things roll around, so I can maximise the space I have. Which, admittedly, is more than 16 square feet. More like 30' x 10'.
Mind you, I had to buy the house and property that came with it, so it didn't come cheap.

As mine is pretty much the same I have to assume that it is the difference between the totally dedicated poverty stricken professionals and the rich, well apointed hobby turner.

(that is said in jest)
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »
Ooh, that's quite a jab, Pete. But I can see where it comes from. And I am not taking it the wrong way. I haven't started out in life as a wood turner, I got to it quite late. However, I am quite committed. And I do realize that when I make it my full time occupation that money will be one of the harder things to come by. And for that reason I also decided that while I still have a well paid day job, I would use it to give me the best possible starting position. I hope you don't mind.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2019, 10:26:38 PM »
A joke that I use regularly at demos Fuzzy. Certainly not personal LOL.

Pete

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »
Here are few pics of some of my homemade jigs.
When I moved into the current workshop, there was a deWalt radial arm saw there, which only needed a little TLC but is otherwise rock solid. The mitre jig gets clamped onto the table of the saw and I use to cut most of my segments for rings.
The swivel milling jig is made to be clamped onto the tooling platform of my engineering mill and allows me to precisely mill out slots. Very useful for cutting the mortices for legs into segmented rings to make a stand (and other things, too).
The drill jig is meant to be clamped onto the lathe bed and provide a stable platform to drill holes into blanks for candlesticks, scoops, etc, which don't have a tenon to hold them by (or which are too long).
Any questions or feedback, fire away.

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2019, 06:56:48 PM »
I do like to see other people's jigs. Thanks Fuzzy.

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »
Doing a job today that needed me to part the work off but with a proviso that I may have to mount it again at a later time, so I needed to be able to centre it. So I made a wooden bell punch, look them up on the internet. I had an old stainless steel plumbob weight that acts as the point.Centres true every time.

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2019, 12:52:47 PM »
These are the cupboards I made for my chisels & pro edge gear plus lathe bits & pieces. I've used magnetic bars under veneer to hold the chisels, previously I'd use the same bars on an open rack for years & never had a problem with chisels becoming magnetised, though as previously mentioned I've only ever placed them on & never scraped them across the magnet.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 04:12:02 PM »
Blimey that's a bit posh innit LOL

Pete