Author Topic: Wavey experimental piece  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Wavey experimental piece
« on: June 06, 2019, 09:46:37 AM »
I thought I had already posted this piece as I was going to link to it in John,s POST, but not wanting to hi-jack that I will put it here.
This pot is purely an experiment which on the whole seemed to work except the design/shape. I keep meaning to try this with a more pleasing shape but like many here I will get around Tuit someday
If memory serves me right it could be a piece of Maple or Holly. It is just another twist on the grooved piece.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Wavey experimental piece
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 10:52:55 PM »
Ok how did you do it?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 11:16:53 PM »
Ok how did you do it?

Pete

It's a secret ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OK not for long Shape the outside and then cut a series of slots to produce the fins to the depth required and place in a bucket and pour boiling water over the vanes they will warp naturally or you can get an even wave by inserting the ends of clothes pegs as in this photo. Now leave to dry with the pegs in place once dry remove and finish as required.
You could start with a very green piece of wood turn and leave to dry.

Have fun well I did

I would like to point out this idea was from a chap called Dennis Gooding he did his with green wood and let it warp naturally I did the bucket and boiling water method and the pegs for an even result

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:33:45 PM by Derek »

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »
Nice looking piece.

I believe the originator of this idea was Paul Clare who exhibited one in the AWGB exhibition in 1990 at Hay-on-Wye.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 11:17:16 AM »
Nice looking piece.

I believe the originator of this idea was Paul Clare who exhibited one in the AWGB exhibition in 1990 at Hay-on-Wye.

Thank you Mark.

Like many things I can only credit where and who I saw doing this, All I did was to add my twist to his piece

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
Thank you Derek,
Through this post and some subsequent googling I have other names of woodturners whose work may have subconsciously influenced my design !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 10:34:47 PM »
Derek,

whether you were inspired by another persons work or not, it is still a clever ans interesting piece of work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »

Having done the straight one's myself my problem is stopping them going wonky  :)..... The concept is well thought out
  and executed .... Although have to say not impressed with the shape but otherwise  well done.
  Kind Regards Tony D
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »
Thank you Bryan and Georg.

Having done the straight one's myself my problem is stopping them going wonky  :)..... The concept is well thought out
  and executed .... Although have to say not impressed with the shape but otherwise  well done.
  Kind Regards Tony D

The shape is something I need to work on it was the experiment of getting an uniform wave that I was more interested in with this one