Author Topic: critiques  (Read 10319 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: critiques
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »
I think something worth taking into consideration when commenting on regular posters is that they and the commenter may include banter about a piece which can be mistaken as harsh by the novice who has not been on the site very long and does not appreciate how we talk to each other. This could have the effect of putting them off posting work.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 10:35:41 PM »
What I think would be useful is a short guide with bullet points on what to consider and what to avoid when giving a critique - any volunteers?

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 06:55:01 PM »
Well done Paul , much needed as some comments on here have been scathing  >:(

Hopefully this will remind people to be respectful  :)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 05:53:29 PM »
I also discovered that the fastest way to end a discussion is to ask for a volunteer!  ;)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »
Just about the worst thng you can do is look at the piece and say nothing!
Paul, have you only just worked that out?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 10:16:53 PM »
Hi Paul,
I'm not sure what you mean by that, I was referring to the discussion in this thread, which seemed to stall when I asked for a volunteer to draft some guidelines.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 10:20:17 PM »
That highlights the biggest problem with saying things online. I read Pauls post as two seperate comments, one as a reference to critique and one as a reference to the comment on asking for volounteers. Who is right? So easy to get the wrong idea.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 11:34:38 PM »
The problem is the task of writing a simple bullet point list seems sensible, but there would need to be a library  sized document for the exceptions.

However here it is....

Be honest
Be fair
Be tactful

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 12:13:47 PM »
Paul,

my take on a possible guidance for critiques is as follows:

C&C on my thought are welcome.

Pictures posted in here must be the works of the person posting.

General Guidelines
Any DEROGATORY or FRIVOLOUS post may be EDITED OR DELETED as necessary by the Forum Moderators.

If you want Comments or Critiques, please ask for them in your posting; e.g. ‘C&C appreciated
But remember that some comments, while possibly meant for the good could still be uncomfortable to receive.

Not everyone or everything posted is to an expert standard. Many posters are new to woodturning looking for guidance or posting an experiment and looking for feedback.

Rules for posting a Critique
Be honest
Blunt ‘Put downs’ do no good for either the Original Poster or person replying.

Be fair
Be Constructive, what is seen to be wrong with it, how could it have been improved?

Be tactful
Not everything is perfect in ‘your eye’, but will be ‘right’ in someone else’s.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 07:51:37 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 04:58:19 PM »
Not sure about the work having to be by the poster. If claimed as such I agree but sometimes it is a case of showing an example? It should however be with the original makers permission if still alive.
Hardest thing to get across in a critique online is when you re stating a personal preference as opposed to saying something isn't right. I would usually add IMHO if that is the case. I agree with adding C&C to a post but poster should also be prepared to accept criticism. I am perhaps fortunate in having someone who will honestly tell me if a piece is not good enough but not everyone has that so needs to be willing to accept others pointing out faults or ways of improvement if they ask for it. Worst thing is the 'Ooooh it's lovely' comments seen a lot on social media which are of no help at all (IMHO)

Pete

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 05:26:38 PM »
I also discovered that the fastest way to end a discussion is to ask for a volunteer!  ;)

Thatwas me making two differtnt points.
Showing someone your work and getting no response at all can be disheartening at least.
Getting no response from asking for a volunteer is something I discovered years ago!
Ron

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 07:51:12 PM »
Pete,

Not sure about the work having to be by the poster. If claimed as such I agree but sometimes it is a case of showing an example? It should however be with the original makers permission if still alive.

I don't think you would post a picture of a piece and ask for C&C if it was not yours to start with, and I've never seen anyone do it, but thought I'd better cover that base anyway.

But a good point raised.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 10:08:42 PM »
 ;) See that exceptions list is growing.... I was wondering about adding "Be helpful" to the original three but figured it was generally covered, and elaborated by dr4g0nfly in his post.

The aim of critiques in my personal view is to encourage all turners who ask, to be better.  as Pete said 'Ooooh it's lovely' is not particularly helpful.

As for on here, it's very hard to get a real sense of the work in a picture so any critique is going to be a bit limited, but anything is better than nothing, and suggestions for improvements can only help raise the standard of all of us. Suppose I better put something in the gallery now :o

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »
My comments on critiques or posting images of work are this:-
In the unlikely event that images of a 3rd party are posted  no form of critique is acceptable, that person did not post their own work so you shouldn't post it either.
If you post images of your own work you should expect a critique whether you want it or not, if you do not want your work talked about don't post images of it.
If you feel the need to comment on another person's work do so politely, an abrupt one or two word answer is not acceptable in actual fact it is downright rude.
If you are serious about critiqueing work ,for everything that is pointed out to be wrong a positive or constructive comment should be left. So for instance instead of just telling someone they have turned a dog bowl (which we have all done in the past)tell the person that you prefer to see a "nice continuous curve which in fact is easier to produce rather than flat bottomed straight sided work." And I have to disagree with burywoodturners, yes it is not nice to have a piece looked at with no comments left but the old saying of"if you cannot say something nice say nothing at all" should stand. Some pieces beg a comment and others do not warrant it. If a piece does not attract comments it is then up to the person that posted it to ask for them (and then brace themselves!!)
Above all else, politeness costs nothing, if you cannot be polite do not bother commenting.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »
I am blaming you for today's dog bowl with the paper thin base....  fire will be lit tonight. ;)