Author Topic: Live remote demonstrations  (Read 2496 times)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Live remote demonstrations
« on: June 04, 2019, 12:08:12 PM »
Technology and demonstrators capability have come on a long way since this topic was raised a few years back.

We have had a live remote demo from Lyle Jamieson a couple of years ago but this was at an outside venue. Our special club nght on June 19th is the first of 2 live remote demos planned for this year using our own regular venue, The Elmcroft Centre.

The meeting is open to all and if you have not yet seen a live remote demo, then do come along. There is full instant interaction with the demonstrator (or may a second or two delay whilst we get a roving mic to you!) and of course, the necessary half-time chat.

Our first demo will be from New Jersey  and the second one, later in the year, from Colorado, with more planned throughout 2020 and 2021.

Full details are on the flyer and links in the Events section of the Forum or please pm me.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Live remote demonstrations
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
Could be the answer to cost for some of the smaller clubs if it is not too difficult to set up.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 05:16:01 PM »
Some clubs seem to struggle with a camera and projector! ;-)

But for those clubs with the technology, all that's needed beyond the projector or TV is a laptop and a reliable internet connection. You can add microphone and webcam if you want to make it a two way interaction.

For some clubs, the hardest part to achieve is the reliable internet connection but with 4G (and 5G on the horizon) mobile solutions are possible.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 07:10:39 PM »
Would be good to see instructions written so that even those that are not PC friendly could possibly have a go at setting it up. I remember the trouble I had when trying to sort out the camera equipment for my club, didn't know what I needed or what things were called. It can be a real struggle for us oldies.

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
Dave Hulett wrote an article from the club setup perspective.  It’s at the bottom of the listing on this page: https://www.woodturningonline.com/articles.php?catid=50

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. And... if any of you are coming to the AAW Symposium next month, I will be presenting another Rethinking Demonstrations special interest session.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »
Here are the first photos from last night. More to come!
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »
BHT, we (Cheam) are also happy to help with any info we can offer. David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 10:16:47 PM »
Thank you David, I appreciate that.

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 07:00:03 PM »
... and of course, I enjoy helping clubs get set up to receive remote demonstrations