Author Topic: Box with finial  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Box with finial
« on: June 03, 2019, 06:13:07 PM »
Made this from Field maple burnt decoration then ebonised foot and finial finished with acrylic sander sealer followed by an acrylic satin finish

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Box with finial
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »
I think that the finial has too strong a presence and overpowers the box. Scaled down it would work a bit better for me.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 09:44:00 PM »
It's the finial and the lid combined that is giving it that top heavy look. As les dsaid it needs to be a lot smaller and more delicate. The finial alone on a lid of the same wood would be better or a smaller finial + lid altogether. Each part is good but not all together. I have a a box of finials that get brought out when I do these that didn't work first time around so don't throw it out. LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »
Nicely turned.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »
Thank you for the feedback guys.

Pete I am starting to get a collection of finials all with a 1/4" tenon on them makes it easier to swap them around I should try them next time to see which suits better

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »
There is no doubting the quality of the woodturning and decoration, Crisp lines and clean surfaces. It looks well balanced to my eye, I like the exaggeration of the finial. Interesting that the balance looks better in the second image, in line with the piece. The first image, looked at from above does make the finial look oversized. I'm not too sure about the combination of the freer decoration on the base with the formality and precision of the shaping of base and finial.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:19:08 PM »
Thank you John

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »
Derek,

I'm also of an opinion that the finial does not work. But not only because it's too tall, but because compared to the simple shape of the box, it's very fussy and so does not balance easily in the eye.

But I like the box and decoration on it, by burnt I'm assuming 'with a pyro pen', not the Lichtenberg method of a microwave transformer.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
Derek,

But I like the box and decoration on it, by burnt I'm assuming 'with a pyro pen', not the Lichtenberg method of a microwave transformer.

Thank you Bryan. Finials are one of those things I find are difficult to get right sometimes they work and other times they just look totally wrong.

Yes it is done with a pyro pen I will not play with Lichtenberg burning method. To get it to look like Lichtenberg effect I think that it would take a lot more time to create the effect using a pyro pen maybe one day I may try for the full effect when I have not got other things to do like gardening which I am all behind on at the moment.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 01:52:38 PM »

Saw this and admired  when first posted Derek .... Got to say we like it a lot the idea ..concept .. and colour all seem to
 blend just right. Nice work.
 Kind  Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 04:26:03 PM »

Saw this and admired  when first posted Derek .... Got to say we like it a lot the idea ..concept .. and colour all seem to
 blend just right. Nice work.
 Kind  Regards Tony di

Thank you sorry for late reply been laid up and in hospital so trying to catch up on some of the posts