Author Topic: A basket Case?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
A basket Case?
« on: June 04, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »
While researching the Prof’s ancestry I discovered Bergen ‘The Strauser’ an impoverished medieval knight, who fought in all sorts of wars and alehouses and whose tale will unfold in future posts.
He currently festers in the oubliette at Hexham goal for being caught willow weaving on a Saturday.

The piece Bergen was making is shown below and is a 200mm cherry bowl with 24 x 6mm holes 1cm from the rim. The whole was made at a workshop alongside 5 of my Northumbrian Woodturners Association colleagues and Jennifer Molyneux of the Northumbrian Basketry Group. The workshop was spawned from a ‘Greenwood’ evening I organized for the club with a pole lathe turner and Jennifer.
The piece is very much a beginner’s product and did not receive universal acclaim. The comment ‘that will burn well and Oh! look – it comes with its own starting sticks’ was pretty much universal. However, Bergan was proud of it and suggests that other clubs might try the same sort of thing (but better).

Oh - Bergen is trying to mount a campaign to recover royalties as he claims that he was the model for the recently discovered Lewis ‘Warrior’ Chess piece.
Your C&C much appreciated
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:06:23 PM by Nick Simpson »
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: A basket Case?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »
Whatever next!  :D
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 02:23:34 PM »
The bowl looks good but I do have reservations about Bergen ‘The Strauser’  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 06:08:51 PM »
Thanks Les and Derek
Whatever next!  :D

Wait and see...…..There's lots of Strausing to be done

Seriously though I posted this as a suggestion that Clubs can have fun doing things other than turning with painting and decorating

Nick
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:20:13 PM by Nick Simpson »
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
Ah, the perfect thing for Soup in a Basket!

Another good idea for turned items and applied decoration.

Willow weaving, I've not done that since school, no I'm not admitting how many years that is either.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!