Author Topic: Myford ML8  (Read 3110 times)

Offline henry

• iron
Myford ML8
« on: May 16, 2019, 07:34:59 PM »
I'm new to woodturning but have just acquired an old Myford ML8 and have a few questions that hopefully someone familiar with the machine can help with.

It came with a faceplate attached on the outboard side. It's attached pretty firmly and I assume it's seized on (the outboard turning attachment needed a good dose of wd40 and a mallet to get it moving).

Should it simply twist off? If so am I right in thinking I should be turning it anticlockwise?

While trying to move the faceplate I noticed that the pulleys in the headstock are not securely attached. When I try and turn the faceplate with the lock pin engaged, the faceplate moves but the pulleys remain still.

I can see there are two bolts that can be tightened with an alan key. Should these just be tightened anywhere against the axis, or are there holes at a certain point that are meant to accept them. If so how do I know where they are as they're hidden by the pulleys?

Thanks

Henry

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Myford ML8
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:37:08 AM »
If the faceplate is on the outboard side, it will be a left hand thread so unscrew clockwise.

The pulleys should just be lined up with the corresponding one on the motor then tighten it up where it is. The grub screws just drive against the spindle.

Offline henry

• iron
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »
Thanks.

Unfortunately I'm still getting slippage despite turning the grub screws pretty tight.

After a bit of googling I found this photo that shows flat sections on the spindle for the grub screws to push against.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordwood/img8.jpg

Are these not present on all versions of the ML8? (mine's painted cream, which I believe marks it as an early model). Only way I can think of to find the right orientation is to take the spindle out, which is not an idea I'm keen on.

Are there any tips I should know for freeing a face plate? At the moment I can't apply much pressure due to the slippage. Are there other ways to lock the spindle?

Thanks again

Henry

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:20 PM »
With reference to the pulley slipping, I am not sure but on a record lathe there are two grub screws on top of the other in effect the top one is a locking screw so take the grub screw out and look to see if this lathe employs the same method of holding it.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 03:20:36 PM »
If you are searching for a flat on a shaft, take out the grub screw
get something that won't break or scratch the shaft that fits in the hole plastic knitting needle  is great.
Rest your finger on the end and turn the shaft. If there is a keyway you will feel it.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline henry

• iron
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »
With reference to the pulley slipping, I am not sure but on a record lathe there are two grub screws on top of the other in effect the top one is a locking screw so take the grub screw out and look to see if this lathe employs the same method of holding it.

Thanks, but looks to be just the one screw.

Offline henry

• iron
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 10:02:31 AM »
If you are searching for a flat on a shaft, take out the grub screw
get something that won't break or scratch the shaft that fits in the hole plastic knitting needle  is great.
Rest your finger on the end and turn the shaft. If there is a keyway you will feel it.

I did try this using a toothpick, but debris from where the grub screw had rubbed the shaft kept getting pulled up and moving it. I'll see if a magnet will clear the debris and give it another shot with something wider as you suggest.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 01:50:07 PM »
If you can't get enough purchase on the pulley to lock the spindle, try another way to clamp the spindle such as mole grips. Without protection they will damage the spindle so wrap it with a piece of leather or something similar. It might also be worth trying to attach a lever to the faceplate so once you have clamped the spindle, a sudden whack with suitably large hammer will free the jammed thread. Just remember the outboard end unscrews clockwise!

Have you tried heat, penetrating fluid etc?

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 03:39:07 PM »
I'd have a go at heating the faceplate - as Paul has said - the faceplate will expand and 'loosen it's grip' on the thread . . . . . hopefully.

Offline henry

• iron
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 09:22:36 PM »
So far it's been given a dose of WD40 every day for about a week now, and I've tried various ways of clamping the shaft, all unsuccessful.

Not tried heat yet as the only tool I've got to hand to apply it with is a hair dryer, and I'm a little dubious that it would heat the face plate fast enough. Will give it a go at some point though.

Even with heat I'll need a way to secure the spindle. I've just noticed that the plastic bag of rusty metal that came with the lathe includes a thread adapter with a hex collar I can get a large spanner round.

So I could secure the spindle by screwing that on the inboard side and holding it. I'm worried I could I end up damaging the threads though.

Good idea or bad idea?

Offline henry

• iron
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 08:49:38 PM »
More wd40, the thread adapter, a plumbers wrench, a stick screwed into the face plate and a mallet finally got the thing off.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 09:23:11 PM »
More wd40, the thread adapter, a plumbers wrench, a stick screwed into the face plate and a mallet finally got the thing off.

I feel like opening a bottle of champagne  :) well done, some things take persistence especially if they have been left many years... be sure to clean everything and use some dry lube like ptfe or machine wax so sawdust wont stick to it but you can get it apart with ease in future.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)