Author Topic: My latest piece  (Read 2329 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
My latest piece
« on: May 16, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »
I have not posted many pictures of my work for a while as most of it has been humdrum work. But I am taking part in the Wylye Valley Arts trail over the next couple of weeks and this a piece that I have made especially for this event. The story behind it is personal but it is the 3rd piece in my "Circle of life" series (the polo mint series  ;) ) The timber used throughout is Ash and I have used a stone texture paint on the lh crescent and red paint in the RH. The small ring is painted with gold paint. Brass rod inbetween the bits and the base is part of an imitation stone worktop (a bit like Corian) The outside of the large circle is about 10" diameter.
Love it or hate it I am happy to have your comments.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: My latest piece
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
I think the thing on the top right spoils it and makes it look unbalanced .in my opinion it would look better without it  Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 03:37:30 PM »
I appreciate what you are saying George but it is there for a reason but thanks for your comments.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:37:31 PM »
Difficult when it is persomnal as it all makes sense to you. Personally on a purely aesthetic plane agree with George but would probably differ if I knew the reason. Apart from that like where you are going with these a lot.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:36:55 AM »
Hi,

For me, the colours took over and I didn't really get past them  My focus went straight to the colours of the creation and the use of white, red and natural colours did lead me to wonder what led to their use.  I wondered if that was the intention?

That then led me to think that the blue background is a distraction and unless it's part of the personal story then I'd suggest a 'bland' background colour. 

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 12:31:43 PM »
I have to agree with Pete's comments not knowing the meaning of it leaves me wondering about the composition of the piece which looks out of balance.

The other thing that I picked up on is the brass rods holding it together would acrylic clear rod not have been a better option or are these another part of the story behind this piece.

All the same, it is well made and finished

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »
I see a big pair of magnets, with their polarity keeping them poised.
An interesting piece, John.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
Thank you for sharing this.
I keep coming back to it. And so does the 'Prof.
I'm a storyteller and this piece tells me lots about division, exclusion and gender neutrality.   If it's not a metaphor for our nation's plight and the way we treat the most disadvantaged or different then it could be.
It will certainly be anathema to the 'what's it for? or what does it do?' brigade
Whatever your own story ----you have done it proud.
Well done
Regards
Nick
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:05:33 PM by Nick Simpson »
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 06:23:31 AM »
Thanks for all of your replies.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 08:40:28 PM »
John,

An interesting piece, you don't say what the inspiration or give a meaning for this piece so I'm loathe to make many comments on it.

The one I will raise probably does not fit with your original vision, but the satellite torus would look better if if had a stronger or more striking colour, possibly metallic or even gold leaf.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 11:21:10 PM »
What does not show up very well is the textured surface of the LH half circle and the totally smooth surface of the RH half. These represent my future son in law (lh) and my daughter (rh) the gold ring which has received comments about its size is that size because that represents my grandson. I could have made that ring smaller but as emotive (to me) piece I wanted to demonstrate how important he is to me so madethe ring disproportionately larger.
  I have to say that it has attracted quite a lot of comments from those that see it at the show but also some people just totally ignore it. The piece that is getting the most comments is the one that I made in the same series before this one. As shown here.