Author Topic: Remounting Jaws  (Read 2372 times)

Offline George

• iron
Remounting Jaws
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »
Hi Everyone, I'm currently using the Record Power remounting jaws, however, they are restricted to a maximum of 600 rpm which I find a bit too slow especially when turning oak.  Does anyone know of any remounting jaws that can be used at a faster rpm.  Many thank -George

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Remounting Jaws
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »
The Axminster SK100 Button Jaws have a recommended maximum of 1000rpm, if you can get the tail stock in play then I do have a tendency to over speed these recommended maximums occasionally, obviously reducing the speed for the final bit where the tail stock is missing.

Like anything with live organic matter that can behave in unpredictable ways (both the wood and the person turning the lathe on!) it has to be a judgement call and the numbers quoted have to be safe in all expected combinations.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »
The Axminster jaws will not fit the Record/Nova chucks, something which annoys me as you need two sets of everything or stick to one make of chucRon

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 04:51:10 PM »
Axminster used to make a set of Nova converter carriers so that Nova Jaws can be used on their Chucks. I am not sure if these are still available
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 05:43:27 PM »
Axminster used to make a set of Nova converter carriers so that Nova Jaws can be used on their Chucks. I am not sure if these are still available

No, they don't that is why I have gone for a Versa chuck as they do carriers for a few manufacturers jaws. I use Axminster and Sorby jaws on mine.

When using cole jaws I tend to back up with the tailstock until the last little piece before removing the tailstock. I don't always go this route to clean the bottom depending what I am working on

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 07:33:12 PM »
George you should think about the peripheral speed of the jaws before increasing the speed.The jaws, like all other pieces that have been made for rotating machinery or cutting blocks are given that speed for a reason. Perhaps before exceeding the advised speed as recommended by the manufacturer which could be dangerous, you should try sharpening up your chisels. Oak cuts quite happily at 600 rpm with sharp tools.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 07:48:10 PM »
On my little axminster I cranked the speed up once to see what it was at the top end. Never done it since as I can't see what you gain from going so fast amnd if something does go wrong it is far more dangerous. Rafrely go above 2000 for anything and most times closer to 1000.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 11:05:22 PM »
they have restrictions???

i've had the axminster button jaws at 2000 rpm before with no trouble. mine are the 16" version not the 10" ones.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 12:56:31 AM »
I think the speed limits on cole jaws are down to the centrifugal forces on the jaws themselves rather than anything to do with cutting speeds for the wood.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »
I am aware of that Paul, the point I was making is that I see no reason to exceed the recommended speed for any jaws, what is achieved by going faster? Possibly a second or two less time to turn the wood

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »
End of the day you are spinning a potentially flexible bowl, attached by flexible bits of rubber to a cast aluminium plate with lots of holes drilled in it, which may or may not have been dropped onto the floor to cause a few micro cracks in it...

How fast do you want it spinning? ;D

I don't have a rev counter so do it by eye, have almost definitely exceeded the spec. but most likely applying wax not cutting.

Use the tailstock to reduce the risk, and use good judgement, and you should be fine, probably!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline George

• iron
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies and advice, I take the point that The Bowler Hatted Woodturner makes about the chisels been sharp which mine are most of the time but 600 rpm still seems a bit slow to me.  As an aside a friend of mine who has just started woodturning has a set of Axminster remounting jaws, however, this speed readout on his lathe is in Hz and not RPM so he ran the lathe at 50Hz.  It wasn't until he found out how to calculate Hz to RPM he found out that he was running his remounting jaws at 3000 rmp!!