Author Topic: Trend Airshield Pro  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Sandy

• bronze
Trend Airshield Pro
« on: May 17, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »
I'm asking for help / advice / guidance on the charging aspects of this helmet please.

I've come across some concerns of users of the Airshield Pro that the battery charger supplied with the helmet by Trend is not a 'smart' charger.

As I understand it, the concern is that Trend state
>  the battery should initially be fully charged for 20 hours before use
>  then once in use, the battery should be run down completely before each subsequent charge which should then be for a full 8 hours
>  after the 8 hours the charger should be disconnected from the mains to prevent overcharging the battery.

The concern as I understand it is that the charger does not switch to sleep mode/trickle charging(?) once the battery reaches full charge.

If after using the helmet (normally during the day or evening) AND the battery is run down (indicated by an alarm incorporated in the helmet) most users would then put the battery on charge in the late evening / overnight SO would need to set a timer or alarm reminder for an eight hour charge time on each occasion in order to remove power from the charger to prevent damage to the battery?

Have I understood all this correctly as it doesn't seem that Trend supply a very good charging solution.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Trend Airshield Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:27:46 PM »
Have a look at the link below. It is the US version of the instruction manual for the AirShield Pro but Page 10 covers battery charging and it is the same in the manual issued in the UK.

Edit: Sorry the link didn't work, I'll try get a photo of the page.

Edit No.2: The photo wouldn't load!

Here's what it says:
"Battery packs should be initially charged for 24 hours and 14 hours thereafter when fully discharged. Full working capacity of the battery will not be achieved until the battery has been through 3 or 4 complete charging cycles. Please note the light will not extinguish when a full charge has been achieved".

So the blue light on the charger stays on even when the battery if fully charges. In use, a charge takes 14 hours and somewhere else in the manual it says a full charge will give 8 hours use. So an overnight charge is possible.

Sorry for the convoluted reply, but I hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:42:49 PM by Mike313 »

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »
I charge mine when I am not wearing it, the light stays on but sometimes it's 2 or more days before I get back to unplug it and it is never hot, and has not exploded, which to my mind indicates that it does only charge to full then switch off.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 07:23:35 PM »

The cost of this Air Shield I would think Trend could do better.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:09:52 PM »
I agree with you John. Unfortunately their manual says "don't use any other type of charger" so you can't substitute an 'intelligent' charger . . . . .  .

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
Thank you all for sharing your experience and comments,

With the charging restrictions, if the helmet will have a lot of use then perhaps the way to go is to maintain a spare, charged battery using a battery cradle to charge off-line while the helmet is in use ... that's an expensive option.

Again, thanks for your thoughts on this.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 11:37:57 AM »
Sandy,  I just tested mine and at 9 hours it was still of running, but I think slower than before. It is about 5 years old, and is used regularly but this is not a professional setup, I work alone so over a 7 hour day in the workshop I am drinking coffee, using the bandsaw, sharpening tools, poking through wood stocks, or doing some other non turning activity for probably more than half a day. 

Then at the end of the day I plug it in until the next time which may be tomorrow or may be 3 or 4 days away, and so far it hasn't exploded or otherwise harmed the battery.

Its about 6 or maybe 7 years old now, has used up quite a few filters but otherwise cost me nothing more than the purchase price.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »
Thanks Twisted Trees for your last post.

That's interesting.  I've a Trend Airshield (not the Pro) and have used / treated it in much the same way as you have and I haven't had any issues either.