Author Topic: Baby rattle 2  (Read 1281 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Baby rattle 2
« on: May 08, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »
I showed a rattle before - this is a variant (for new grandnieces).  The dumbell ends and rings are 50mm diameter (in line with new US standards, which also dictate no handle) and the colours are readily-available food dyes, and thus I believe safe to be sucked.  This last is an idea from a US discussion group when I could not get a straight answer on safety from UK wood stain supplier.  The wax finish is wax oil of a type specifically approved for young kids toys, and the wood is sycamore. I used a 10mm diameter special ring separating tool in this case but clearly one could manage without.  Good to remember to sand the rings before quite separating them - much easier (though sandpaper stuck to the central rod with double-sided sticky may still be needed to finish the ring interiors).

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Baby rattle 2
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 02:10:58 PM »
Looking good, haven't seen one of these done for a while. Good to see you are really careful with the safety aspect. Seen these made with all sorts of inappropriate woods and finishes. I have a home made tool for captive rings made from an allen key with a hanmdle attached and, like you, use double sided sticky tape to sand the inside of the rings.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities