Author Topic: New member first post  (Read 1734 times)

Offline al kuntz

• iron
New member first post
« on: May 08, 2019, 01:35:02 AM »
 I am new to this forum but have been turning for about 10 years. I do mostly segmented work because i don't have the patience for wood to dry. Here is my latest. After three tries its finally done. By the far the most difficult design I have tried. its not all symmetrical but I just couldn't through away a third one.It is a lot better than the first two
The base was bigger at the start but I had a catch parting it off
it is 18" high x 11" in diameter x 3/8 wall. There are 552 pieces plus the feature ring. The woods are Maple Walnut Wenge and the head is Ebony
Thanks for looking
Al

Offline michaelb

• bronze
Re: New member first post
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »
Brilliant like the shape and design, I am not into segmented not enough patience but admire the work of those who master the art and you have ,
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 08:14:36 AM »
Al I do a bit of segmenting myself, well done you, a fine piece for your first posting.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 09:19:38 AM »
What an impressive piece of turning. Segmented turning is not my thing (I don't have enough patience to do the preparation very well, which always leads to a poor end result!), but I can really appreciate the amount of effort and skill that goes into work like this. Great first post Al!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
Welcome.
Lovely work. Not sure how you can say you don't have the patience when you make things like this LOL.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
Very nice piece of work. Love the feature ring and your segment joints look spot on. As one who does a lot of segmented work, I appreciate the time, design thought and effort put into this. Welcome to the site by the way. If you want to see some cool segmented pieces why not view, or even join, segmentedwoodturners.com, a online chapter of the American Association of Woodturners.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:12:46 AM »
WOWWWWWWWW!
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »
Segmenting is something in the turning world that escapes me. But I can appreciate the enormous amount of effort it takes to produce even a small piece, so very well done on the time and effort you've put into producing this 18" high specimen.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!