Author Topic: Ash vessel  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Ash vessel
« on: May 06, 2019, 02:45:39 PM »
Currently using a vast pile of green ash logs (from a large tree that we've just felled) for some experimenting with carving and letting things warp as they dry. I'm pretty happy with some of the results - the one in the picture is about 10" diameter. I find if I can get the walls thin enough, then there is no cracking as the pieces dry - it just bends and distorts to make some nice shapes. I've microwaved a few of these vessels to speed the drying up, and it works fine (as long is my wife doesn't catch me)!

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
Re: Ash vessel
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »
Wow, that's lovely, and i would never have guessed it was from green wood.
How did you carve the flutes? They look scarily thin to me!
Duncan

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »
The flutes were carved freehand with a gouge before hollowing. The trick I found is to get the depth of the flutes all more or less the same, so you don't blow a hole in the side if you hit a flute that's too deep when hollowing. I found hollowing in a dimly lit workshop with a bright light pointing inside the vessel helped loads when trying to even out the thin/thick spots for the final few cuts.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »
I tip my hat to you Sir. Excellent work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 02:52:25 PM »
A great little pot...did you get much bother with the ash discolouring (reddening) as it oxidised?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »
Thanks all. Les - there was a little discolouration over night whilst I was working on it, but once it was finished I think drying it out in the microwave helped to minimise it happening at all. The finished pot has no finish, and has only been sanded inside a little, and the outside is as it came off the gouge, so I would expect it to darken in colour a little. However, the other thin walled pots I've made with the same tree all seem to have kept their colour, so maybe thin walls and forced drying is a method for reducing any reddening?!