Author Topic: Clock making  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Sandy

• bronze
Clock making
« on: May 06, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »
Hi all,

As a one-off project, I've been asked to make a clock.  Haven't done one before.  I've looked online for clock movements and hands (the design doesn't call for a chapter ring) but wondered what some of you guys would recommend as good places to shop (preferably online) and any potential pitfalls to be aware of when making.

Thanks in advance,
Sandy

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Clock making
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »
  Sandy,

Really depend on what type of clock, what size etc. If it's just a push completed movement hat all you have to do is add a battery then any of the usual woodturning supply shops have them but if you are making a wall clock and just need a movement and hands then I would suggest going for a silent running lock as the ticking ones are very annoying when mounted on the wall the sound of the tick is echoed through the wood. The silent running ones have a sweeping second hand smooth like a Rolex and are almost silent. I get mine from Ebay.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 12:43:45 PM »
Hi Sandy

There are many varieties and options of clock, simple clock movements that run off a AAA battery and have hands exposed to the air are a bit pants really! though I have one on my kitchen wall which is quite nice and it runs about 2 years on a single battery, I wouldn't make another. Get something where the hands are in side a glass or if required a clear plastic case for a slightly better end product. and the cheapest way of doing that is to go to the £ shop and buy a plastic clock, take it apart and reuse the front and the motor maybe the hands too.

Or go for one of the more expensive movements with a glass cover over the face e.g.

https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/150mm-clock-insert-skeleton-gold/p3342

Or maybe even a real one?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/time-only-pendulum-movements

As always you need to know where you want to end up then design and source backwards.

Pitfalls really you need a very stable but thin clock-face, to mount everything to and not warp behind the hands. actually a very good place for a piece of thin MDF with your actual turning being the frame around it. Don't buy foreign as you will find they use N size batteries or something that you just can't get here. and consider going digital! I made one for my living room by ripping the plastic off a cheap digital radio controlled clock and remaking everything automatically sets it self to daylight savings etc. fit and forget type clock.

have fun with it

Pete
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:41:45 PM »
Sandy. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH7WVMoNEl0&t=96s some good ideas

Fred Taylor
Orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »
Sandy. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH7WVMoNEl0&t=96s some good ideas

Fred Taylor
Orchard-woodturners.org.uk

I jumped back in my chair when that came off the lathe  :o

It was a nice clock, but would have been 10 times as nice with a glass front, £10 or so on a glass front would have made all that dodging flying timber, burning a dial etc. so much more worth the effort.  :)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 06:48:43 PM »
Thank you Martin, Pete, Fred for the advice and pointers and for your prompt replies.  Will take a good look through eBay sellers and compare with the 'usual' suppliers and also take a look at the Youtube and other web pages suggested.

Will hopefully choose this evening.

Kind regards
Sandy