Author Topic: Double-curved bowl  (Read 1645 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Double-curved bowl
« on: May 04, 2019, 01:49:13 PM »
I suggested on the notorious (!) note about scalloped-bowl 2-3 that the cooling-tower-shaped intermediate piece was pleasing and might find another use.  Here is an example that may be of interest, where a 'bowl' has been formed by fitting a separately-made base.  The initial wood piece needs to be thick enough to allow this, or the base needs to be made from another starting piece. There were some issues with the wood (for example PVA glue seems to colour it) but the result is still quite pleasing I think!  It also makes quite efficient use of the wood in that the central section is left to be used again (yes I am aware of devices that allow this for nested hemispherical bowls but they look a bit hairy!)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Double-curved bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »
Will I read the notes on how you made this piece, and I can see that it is well made and finished, however for my tastes I have to say I don't like the shape and it is not a shape that in my opinion would sell very well (perhaps that is not an issue with you)I do though admire the clean lines and edges and feel you have done that part really well.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »
BHT - thanks, you may well be right, though as you say this is less of an issue for me.  I am  more interested in doing different things, though I would also like them appreciated!

Since I commented on the potential re-usability of the central leftover with this method see the attached, all made from the one original piece. The middle 'bowl' is made exactly like the first (ie from the central leftover cylinder from the largest bowl) but the smallest one is cut and hollowed from one side (though also from the central leftover from the middle bowl).  It is OK but less neat inside than the other two.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:44:50 AM by willstewart »

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
Another detail - this is a smaller (70mm) cooling tower shape made this time by turning between centres and then cutting in from both sides in the button jaw chuck - leaving a loose bit in the middle. 

The interest is that the shape is quite mechanically strong, so sanding (inside) can reduce it to 1-2 mm making it translucent, as here (the ends are deliberately a little thicker).  The result is reasonably robust considering!  There is a small battery LED lamp inside.

FWIW a limewood example (this is redwood like the bowls) also worked but became uneven so could not be quite so thin.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 08:46:41 PM »
Hi, and sorry, but I just don't dig this.....it simply isn't a shape that excites me.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.