Author Topic: pierced beech bowl  (Read 1662 times)

Offline wider

• gold
pierced beech bowl
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:17:37 AM »
had the opportunity to turn and pierce this beech bowl. it is 8x2"in size and a winged thickness of 2mm and a body thickness of about 5mm. it is sanded with Yorkshire grit and finished with Hampshire sheen. all comments welcome.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Re: pierced beech bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 09:10:26 PM »
I think its great. I like the shape and the piercing on the rim is very well done. It looks like there is some debris in some of the piercing holes - probably a little of the yorkshire grit stuck in there as I have had this issue with cream abrasives before. Maybe a blast with some compressed air will clean the holes out a bit.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 09:23:01 PM »
Not a huge fan of all the decorated stuff being done ,lately but this one appeals. The piercing looks a lot like runes.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:40:42 AM »
thank you for your comments. I have had the opportunity to clean all the debris out of the hols and getting it ready for delivery.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »
Nice bowl Dennis.

One of the reasons for not being a lover of wax type finished on pierced or rough-edged pieces is the work involved in removing the bits that get stuck in the holes etc.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 08:26:32 PM »
Hi Wider,

Without the piercing the shape would not actually be very attractive, it is the piercing that makes it all work. And it does work, and works well.

Great work on getting the thin rim so even and all the effort in adding the pierced decoration without breaking something.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!