Author Topic: Question on finishing an elm burr bowl  (Read 1651 times)

Offline HappyPixie

• iron
Question on finishing an elm burr bowl
« on: April 07, 2019, 05:22:59 PM »
A question from a relative novice. I picked up an elm burr at a popular online auction site and produced the bowl in the image. I've given it two coats of Danish oil and it's already reached the level of sheen that I like. Is there really any necessity to add more coats? Also, I like to leave the inclusions and cracks in, but often the oil seeps out from these cavities after I've wiped off the excess and it forms shiny rings around the cracks/holes. Is there any advice on how to avoid this?
Comments and suggestions welcome.
Steve

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Question on finishing an elm burr bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum to start with.

Nope, if the effect you want is achieved with 2 coats of oil, stop there, you don't need more. Maybe in months to come, but not immediately anyway.

As for the seepage, that shows you flooded the wood with oil (good technique) and it is the surplus that got into the cracks and fissures that is now draining out. Keep wiping it up, it will stop, but you can also lay on it's side or up[side down as well to help clear the surplus.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »
what he said.

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
I use compressed air to blow the oil out of the cracks. A build up of Danish oil in the cracks can spoil the look.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)