Author Topic: Jet Lathe squeaks and won't turn  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Caroline

• iron
Jet Lathe squeaks and won't turn
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:37:39 PM »
HI,
I have inherited a Jet Lathe and been slowly teaching myself. I have successfully managed to drill holes for lamps and turned one block ok so I know it is working.
My problem is now whenI put a block on and put some pressure on it to start working it tries to go but just squeaks. there is no turning it at all, even by hand.
I don't think I have superhuman strength and pushed it all over too much.
It will turn when it's not under pressure from the other end.
Can anyone give me any tips or should I ring Axminster?
Thanks

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Jet Lathe squeaks and won't turn
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »
It sounds like a spindle bearing problem. To check this, loosen the belt from the motor and try to turn the spindle by hand. If it still does the same, it confirms that's the problem.

Do those lathes have adjustable bearings? If so, perhaps that needs to be done. If not, the bearings need replacing.

Perhaps Axminster can give you details of what maintenance (if any) should be done on the bearings.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 05:45:55 PM »
Paul has probably got the answer, you should be able to feel if there is end float or sideways wear on a bearing, it's not visible as such but push and pull on the chuck and you should be able to detect it.

BUT before you go to that trouble, please check the spindle lock,  the other thing to check is your belt tension if it's too loose it will spin on the pulley rather than turn it and make a squealing noise in the process.   
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:49:46 PM »
Hello Caroline,

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to read you are having difficulties.

All of the above are excellent responses, but I'd add, that if you can join a local club, one of the members would be able to give you assistance at the lathe and possibly more meaningful advice directly.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Redtails5

• copper
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »
Hi
Welcome to the forum, there can be two answers to your problem the first is bearing wear which will only be cured by replacing the bearings.
The second is two much side pressure ie screwing the tailstock up to tight putting enormous side pressure on the ball bearings so the ball bearing is pressed against its cage
This happens with ball bearings with no cage. Roller bearings may cure your problem seek advice from a bearing stockist.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 04:16:11 PM »
Since it will turn if there's no pressure from the other end, I think we can exclude the spindle lock. So follow Paul's advice. Once the belt is loose, the spindle must rotate when even the slightest of force is applied. If it doesn't, you need new bearings. Probably best to contact Axminster for further help in this case.
If the spindle does turn, then see whether you can SAFELY try and turn the other end of the belt drive, i.e. the bit that comes out of the motor. REMOVE YOUR POWER CABLE FIRST! If the motor side gives any noises or more than a mild resistance, your motor is the problem.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
How much pressure are you putting through the tail stock, could be causing the bearings to bind if excessive
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads